Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I had some condensation on inside of glass. Opened doors to…

Customer Question
I had some condensation...

I had some condensation on inside of glass. Opened doors to ventilate (didn't have key w/ me). A few hours later got in car & tried to start, thought I might have killed battery. Cranked fine but will not fire. Any idea why?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Tank is nearly full. I don't know if spark is the problem but was running fine the day before.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2001 Lincoln LS V6, 5 Speed manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wnt to local Napa w/ relay and diode related to fuel or spark. Very helpful person said they didn't have diode, she said relay could be swapped w/ another. Swapping didn't help. Checked ALL fuses, none were blown. Tried a PATS reset procedure found online, didn't work.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
11/14/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Here, I am attaching the location of the pressure testing port located on the fuel rail. This works like a valve stem on a tire. Remove the cap and use a pen or key or something that can get down in the valve to depress the pin inside. if fuel comes gushing out(not dripping, but gushing), then we know the pump is working. Also, when you turn the key forward, you should here the pump engage for at least 2 seconds. Are you able to check this now?

Also, have you noticed if the anti-theft light is on and flashing when you turn the key forward? Although, if the anti-theft was enabled, the vehicle wouldn't try to start.

The anti theft light comes on for a few seconds when I turn the key to RUN. It stays off when I crank the engine.
No fuel came out of the fuel pressure relief. I have never heard the fuel pump from the drivers seat. But I disconnected the battery, turned the key to run and, when at the back of the car, near the fuel tank, touched the terminal to the battery. I did not hear the fuel pump.
Lincoln Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

I understand. If the engine turns over, then the issue is not the anti-theft. This would disable the starter also. You will need to check the fuses for the fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay. If these components are sound, then the fuel pump is the issue. You can actually skip these steps and go straight to the pump connector. Remove the rear seat cushion to access the pump. Disconnect the electrical connector and test for power and ground. If you are getting power and ground, then you will need to replace the pump. Here, I am attaching the electrical diagram for the circuits along with the fuel pump replacement procedure to help you access the pump. Also, I have included the description of the anti-theft system, just in case.

These are the most probable causes for your issue.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.