Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

I am trying to replace the driver side headlight buld in my

1992 Lincoln town Car Signatue...
I am trying to replace the driver side headlight buld in my 1992 Lincoln town Car Signatue. I put the bulb in the socket, but the retaining ring does not grab anything to tighten down the bulb? The ring is in the sqme configuration as the passenger side. I inserted the bulb firmly into the socket until it clicked. What did I do wrong?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: The light works,, I just can not tighten the locking ring that holds the bulb in place/
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes this is a DIY project. I put the bulb in the socket, but the retaining ring does not grab anything to tighten down the bulb? The ring is in the sqme configuration as the passenger side. I inserted the bulb firmly into the socket until it clicked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/12/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the bulb is pushed in, did you rotate it 1/8 turn clockwise?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, the wiring harness does not really have much give for a rotation. The locking ring does rotate, but it does not grab onto anything
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have 1992 Signature Town Car.

it need to rotate at least 1/8 turn to lock it in, it may be difficult, but it will lock, can you retry it?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
OK
did not work. I am going to take the bulb and socket out, and pur the lock ring on backward from the way it is oriented on the passenger side. It appears that there is a key and groove on the back end of the lock ring.

the lock ring should not have come off the headlight socket??

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It is loose and just slides over the bulb and socket. I reversed orientation and it did secure the socket in place.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I did need to rotate the socket slightly to seat the whole thing before I tightened the locking ring.

so you got it to work?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
everything is good now.

Great, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me? I do not get paid unless you do?

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH