Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Not sure how this works. but here goes. i have 2003 lincoln…

Customer Question
not sure how this works...
not sure how this works. but here goes. i have 2003 lincoln town car signature series. the coolant fan runs all the time. from start up even without the a/c on. the old guy i bought it from said he had it set that way so it wouldnt overheat while he waited for his wife to finish shopping. he doenst remember what they did and he doesnt remember who did it. tried replacing the fan with a new one the module is atatched to the fan shroud and it still comes on from the start. looked everwhere for some jumped wire and nothing. is this fan controled by the computer? no check engine light and no stored fault codes
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/30/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 7 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Do you have a digital multi meter to do a few electrical tests?

But it will be later tonight before I can do them

Ok. I'll be on line late tonight? Where are you located and how late are you talking about? I'm in Florida.

I'm in central Illinois. And it will probably be 9 o'clock tonight. If you're talking about testing the module. I've already eliminated that by hooking up a new one. And the fans still continue to run.

We need to test the wiring going into the module from the engine harness and see what wires they powered up or grounded to cause the fan to stay on constantly.

Ok. I should be off work at 830 central time.

Ok. That should about 10:30 my time. If too late, I will be on line tomorrow also.

Ok

Talk to you later.

I'm home now if you want to trouble shoot some things

Let me get the diagrams up and running for the cooling fans and get your meter and flashlight ready.

Ok

Ok. Unplug the engine harness from the cooling fan module and then turn the key to on. Check for power on the red/black striped wire and the red/orange striped wire. let me know the voltage you get on each of those wires.

I have a large black a large red with black strip and a small red or orange wire. With the ignition on I have 11.54 across the bkack and red striped when I move the red probe to the small red/orange wire i have nothing. If I put the black probe on the red/orange wire and leave the red probe on the red with black strip wire I get 11.54 volts as well.

Is the cooling fan running at high speed constantly with the AC on or off?

Yep. It takes about 2-3 seconds for it to reach max rpm once the car is started. If the key is just on it doesn't come on. But either ac on or off it runs full speed

Start the engine and recheck the voltage on the cooling fan module connector. See if you get the same readings, but just a bit higher of voltage because the alternator is now charging.

Jumped up to 13.85 across both tested like before

I think they grounded the red/orange striped wire somewhere between the fans and the PCM (Engine Computer). The only other way to verify this is to disconnect the PCM and check for a ground on the red/orange wire.

how would I do that I don't know what a pcm looks like

The PCM connector is located on the firewall below the brake master cylinder. It has a 10 mm bolt that holds the wiring connector to it. See the diagram below.

I don't see any unusual wires on it i have not removed it but i dont see anything obvious running off of it. also I don't think the old guy took it to some fancy shop so I'm thinking it would be some shade tree mechanic could there be something to see from under the dash or would it all be under the hood

It has to be under the hood. Also check the coolant temperature sensor, which is actually the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor. It is under the intake on the driver side cylinder head in the front. Look under the thermostat housing on the intake.

this is a reply on a Lincoln online forum
Okay, this may or may not apply to your 03 Town Car. It does apply to the 03 to 06 Lincoln LS. The fan on the LS is a variable speed design with the electronics built into the motor. A heavy duty power feed to the motor is live all the time. In addition to that and the power ground, there are two more wires. One is switched power that is on anytime the key is in the run position. The other is a PWM control signal from the PCM. At very low duty cycle, the fan is off, at nearly 100% duty cycle, the fan is at full speed, in between, fan speed follows duty cycle. Anyway, the fan is a failsafe design, so if the control signal is not pulsing (disconnected, grounded, shorted to battery, ...), the fan goes to full speed and stays there as long as the key is on.The reason I bring all this up is this, if the control signal is bad or disconnected, guess what happens. A second or three after you turn the key on, the fan comes on at full speed and stays that way until you turn it off. If I had the wiring diagrams for an 03 TC, I would look it up to see if it has the same control scheme. If it does, then your problem is just that the fan control signal from the PCM is not getting to the fan. (Bad wire, connector, or PCM)

That is for the Lincoln LS, not the Town Car.

Below is a section of the shop manual describing the cooling fans.

See below. Also the wiring diagram for the cooling fan.

I don't get it then I see no rewire job under there at all everything looks like it came from the factory I have also used an obdII thing to look for fault codes and there are none so I don't think its a bad sensor.

The only way they could get the fan to go to high once the engine is running is to trick the PCM by modifying the sensor or grounding a wire.

I just took the harness off the pcm. There is nothing there and there is no room for someone to go into the plastic wrap and cross a wire. When you say modify the sensor you mean the temperature sensor next to the thermostat? So maybe try replacing the sensor.
Oh by the way. With the obdii thing connected I can see that when the engine is cold and just started with a coolant temp of 75 I don't think it's a malfunctioning sensor

You can take the sensor out and look at it. The sensor on the intake manifold is for the gauge on the dash. The Cylinder Head Temperature sensor under the intake is for the cooling fan and the PCM.

can you send a diagram of where the cylinder head temp sensor is I'm not very mechanical about some things. I must be looking at the one that sends to the dash
Well that looks like a pain in the ass to get to. I tried something. I disconnected the one on top then started the car and the fan didn't start running. I plugged it back in and when the car got up to temp the fan came on. When I disconect it again the fan stays in. I'll let you go for tonight I know you are an hour ahead but I'm not satisfied yet and think we may need to work on it some more tomorrow. I will look for that temp sensor tonight and see if u see anything weird

Sounds good. Goodnight.

Just wanted to add. Took it for a spin. It's 55 outside. At 55 mph with the heat on high and the fan running on high the coolant temp never went below or above 185. It starts low builds to 185 and stays there.
I found the cht sensor. By the way that is a stupid place to put it. I won't be able to take it out this weekend but might be able to tackle it on Tuesday to confirm that it might be the issue. I traced the wire to a connector and unplugged it. The fan still runs at high but the temp reading thru the obdii was -40 plugged it back in and the temp read normal. I see no tampering with the wires. With the fact that when unplugged it is not sending any temp info to the computer but when plugged back in it does, also that unplugging it didn't effect the fan in any way, kind of indicate that it probably ISN'T the sensor.
Do you have any other ideas

When the sensor is unplugged, it defaults to -40 in the PCM. If the sensors are reading properly and the wiring looks good, it is hard to tell what they did. You have replaced the fans and module with no change.

Did that yesterday just before I got on here is it possible they reprogramed the computer to run all the time

They would need an aftermarket programmer to do that.

I guess I'm just screwed then.

If I had access to a scan tool that can monitor the PCM outputs and inputs, I can see what the PCM is seeing and monitor if it is turning the cooling fan on and at what percentage.

I have my Ford IDS scan tool, but I am nowhere near you or the vehicle.

could you please opt out of the conversation
A. Penland
A. Penland