Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I drive for a short time it overheats pullover it cools down…

Customer Question
I drive for a short...
I drive for a short time it overheats pullover it cools down but then the temperature goes up really fast again already replaced the thermostat
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/30/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
What is the year make and model with engine size of your vehicle?
2001 LS engine size 3.9
Is the cooling fan coming on when it is overheating
it does but sometimes it's slow someone told me it might be the hydraulic actuator

Have you noticed any leaks in the system or getting low on coolant?

If you have not got low on coolant and fan is turning too slow then you need to replace the cooling fan motor. The motor gets worn and will not turn fast enough to keep engine cool. Here is a tech bulletin from ford that is for a new style motor with part numbers. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rjrlt3gpmtlx1f/2001%20LS%20cooling%20fan%20motor.pdf?dl=0

The fan motor is going pretty fast don't think is that but it does get warm and it starts making a crackling bubbling sound for the radiator water is
Also when it does get hot that temperature gauge jumps up really fast
I can turn it off for a couple minutes and it goes right back down to where it should be the temperature

Is the check engine light on and have you had the system checked for the codes in the computer to see if you have the codes listed in the tech bulletin? The fan may be turning but not fast enough to keep the engine cool. When you turn it off the engine will cool down but will climb right back up if fan is not turning fast enough.

Without the fan sounds like it's really running loud when you drive it or give it any gas sounds louder than it normally does so I think it's spinning fast enough and I do not notice any coolant leaks I am currently scanning it right now with the scanner and it says no codes found
the check engine light is on but I'm currently reading no codes
Your scanner may not be able to access the codes. If light is on then there are stored codes.

With the Ford factory scanner they can actuate the cooling fan speeds manually to test it is able to operate in all the speeds to see if it is turning fast enough. A worn fan motor or power steering pump can cause loss of fan speed and cause the overheating. Also if the water pump impeller is worn it can cause low coolant flow through the motor and cause overheating.

Thank you I think I may have found the problem I think keep you informed I guess

Please accept and rate my answer 5 stars so I get credit for helping you out. Thanks.

Did you have any more questions for me?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61