Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The driver door module is malfunctioning on a 2003 Lincoln…

Customer Question
The driver door module...

The driver door module is malfunctioning on a 2003 Lincoln Town Car. Is there anyone who does diagnostics and repairs on these modules?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

We had it into the dealership and they said the driver door module needs to be replaced, but it is on national back-order with an unknown date for new ones to come. We have removed the door panel and removed the driver door module from the door. There is no sign that any of the components on the board have shorted out. I am looking for a board repair shop that knows how to run diagnostics and do repairs on these boards.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The symptoms: While the car is running, the doors unlock and lock and the interior lights go on and off. If we lock the car, eventually the alarm sounds. The dealership has already replaced the door sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

No. But I can do so now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/24/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Did they get any trouble codes from the DDM (Drivers Door Module) or are they just guessing?

When I asked them what codes their computer showed when connected to the car, they told me that the driver door module does not provide trouble codes.
I prefer to have my question answered in writing.

It does produce trouble codes. Below is the trouble code list and the module they come from. The Drivers Door Module is listed by DDM.

I see that the trouble codes for DDM all indicate shorts to battery or one short to ground. If I can get the trouble code from the dealer, what is the next step?
If the dealer will not provide the trouble code, do I have an alternative?

You can check for an independent repair shop and see if they can get any trouble codes from the DDM and post them on this page if the dealership will not get them for you.

I have removed the module from the car to check for signs of problems with the module (burnt components on the circuit board, corroded contacts, etc.). Do I need to reinstall the module in order to get the trouble code?
The dealership has said that the problem is with the module, and that the module needs to be replaced. Shorts can occur anywhere in a circuit. Will the trouble code indicate whether the problem is with the module, or in another part of a circuit?

Yes. The module has to be installed in the vehicle to get the trouble codes.

I can reinstall the module, but neither the independent shop we went to first nor the dealer gave us any feedback on trouble codes. I have seen ads for an inexpensive module called FIXD that can be plugged into the car and supply trouble codes. Is this an alternative for determining the trouble code?
Once I have determined the trouble code, what is the next step?

FIXD is only for check engine lights. It will not test the DDM. I would also recommend checking the wiring in the drivers door jamb by the door hinges for broken or chaffed wires.

I have looked at those wires, but I will check more carefully.
I understand from your answer that the problem may or may not be the driver door module.
I can contact both the dealer and the independent shop tomorrow to see if they have a record of a trouble code, or can get it if I bring the car back in. Once I have the code, can I contact you again under this question to discuss a next step?

Yes, just post on this page.

As for the wiring, pull on each wire separately. We have seen the wires break inside the insulation.

OK. I am going to sign off for now and will reopen this page when I have more information.
Thank you.

Your welcome. Talk to you later.

Good morning Sir.
I have just received the trouble code from the Ford dealership that worked on the vehicle: B1322: "Door Ajar LF Short to Ground".
Also I have looked again at the wiring, but found it very difficult to access. I pulled back the rubber boot that protects the wires between the door and the car and noted that the wires are very thoroughly wrapped, and there is no sign of any wear or damage to this wrapping. Otherwise, the wires go behind a metal plate in the door.
Please let me know based on this code the recommended next step for diagnosing and repairing this problem.
Thank you.
Lincoln Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 7 months ago

Below is the pin point test I would have followed with the trouble code B1322. I do not think they followed the proper pin point test.

Thank you. For my understanding, is the "LCM" the master circuit board that gets plugged into the external computer, and is the "PID P_DR_DD" one of the pins on the DDM?

The LCM Is actually the Lighting Control Module. It is under the drivers side of the dash and controls all the lights in the vehicle. I do not think that is the problem though. But the proper testing needs to be done, not guessing like the dealership that stated you need a DDM (Drivers Door Module).

Good morning. I have e-mailed the dealership asking them if they followed the troubleshooting procedure outlined in the Pinpoint Test B that you forwarded to me. I have not received a response, and even if they say they did follow the procedure, I am not confident that will be a truthful answer.
I have a multi-meter and a rudimentary knowledge of testing circuits: I know how to measure voltage and test for continuity. Is this trouble-shooting procedure something that I can go through with your guidance, or should I find another shop or Ford dealership and ask them to go through this procedure?
If it turns out that the DDM is not functioning properly, I am considering the alternative of purchasing a used DDM on e-bay, taking a chance that it will be functional. If I do that and it is functional, can I re-program it for our car and key fobs, or does that have to be done by the dealership?
Finally, at work I have had CNC machinery circuit boards repaired. Is this an alternative if the DDM is bad, and do you know of any companies that do Ford circuit-board repairs?
I have just received an e-mail from the Ford dealer saying that their technician went through the pin-point test from the module to the door switch and also checked the wiring.

I would get a second opinion. And programing must be done with the proper computer scan tool, which unfortunately dealerships have.

We have re-installed the DDM in order to arrange for testing and service at another Ford dealer. The malfunction has continued, but is less frequent than before we disconnected and reconnected the DDM.
Another bit of information concerning this problem. The malfunction (doors unlocking and re-locking while we are driving, interior lights coming on and off, and the car alarm occasionally going off when the car is parked and locked) first appeared as a very occasional problem over a year ago. About 4 months later the 12v car battery went bad (normal life of 5+ years) and when we replaced it, the problem with doors locking/unlocking etc. went away for about 6 months.
Does this indicate more specifically what is causing the problem?

Not without proper testing. It could be a module going out, but the testing will tell me what one.

We have arranged for a second opinion early next week. I will get back to you when I have their diagnosis.
A. Penland
A. Penland