Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

Ronnie. I picked up a nice 89 Town Car that has been setting

Hi Ronnie. JA: What is the...
Hi Ronnie.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: I picked up a nice 89 Town Car that has been setting for about 10 years. I immediatly replace the fuel tank and fuel pump. I also replaced the fuel filter on the frame. It stumbled when I first tried to start it and it almost stayed running. Now I have no fuel to the rails at all.I replaced the fuel pump relay AND the EEC relay under the hood. When I turn on the key I can hear the fuel pump work for about 2 seconds then it stops. I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the shrader valve on the fuel rail and it shows no presure at all. I manually pilled a plug and I am getting spark. I jumped the inertia switch and same thing so I guess it is good. What am I missing here??? Thanks for the help.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I been doing all this with the car in park. Yes the steering wheel does lock. I haven't tried to start it while in Neutral.
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am doing this myself. As stated. I have a new tank and pump. New Fuel filter, replaced both the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay. Checked the inertia swith and it seems OK. Don't know what else to do.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thanks, ***** ***** cover it.
9/21/2017
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, from your description, if the pump works then the pump is producing no pressure. the pump itself is the issue.

you can try removing the line at the filter and see if the pump is sending fuel there but I doubt it.

the system is working correctly. 2 second prime and will stay on when you crank it.

Roy

Could be I possibly got a defective fuel pump? (It's new). When I changed the fuel filter I noticed there was fuel coming from the lines when I disconnected them but it wasn't under a lot of pressure as I would have expected. I know the pump makes noise for about two seconds when I turn on the key but I can hear if it still pumps while I'm cranking it. I'll pull the tank back out tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

yes, that what I think. you got a bad new fuel pump.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy

roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

thank you

Hi Roy.
I took the tank down just enough to real the pump. It does run for a second when you turn the key and will keep running when I crank the starter. I disconnected the fuel line as it EXITS the new fuel filter and it gets a squirt when the key is turned on and a pretty good flow of fuel when it is cranking. I have a borrowed fuel pressure gauge and it only has the schraeder valve end onit, so I fashsioned a small hose to the filter outlet to the pump. It can't be considered accurate because it leaked a little and I had to hold my thumb over one end. That being said the guage only got up to about 10 lbs. Still think it's the pump putting out low pressure or is there anything else I can check that may be between there and the fuel rails that is causing me not to get any gas up there? Thanks!

nope, the pump builds the pressure. you have almost no pressure. the pump is no good.

Roy

Yep. That what I figured. I guess I was hoping that you might have had a magic wand and I wouldn't have to spend another 200.00 on a new unit. Thanks for your expert advice and have a good weekend!

your welcome

you as well

You were on the money Roy! I bought a new complete fuel pump hanger assembly and replaced the one I had just installed that I had ordered online. Bingo got fuel to the rails no problem. Engine started for the first time in 10 years! It's running pretty rough but that will be another chapter. 40 Lbs pressure at the fuel rail puts an end to my fuel delivery problem. (Hoping I won't have to replace the injectors, but we'll see). Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked over the bargain rebuilt unit after I took it out. Sure enough, the hose going from the top of the pump to the metal outlet tube was cut too short when they rebuilt it and was coming off under pressure and most likely just spraying gas all inside the tank and not sending all fuel out giving only about 10 LBS or less. I'll return it as defective and hopefully learn my lesson that cheaper isn't always better when it comes to critical parts. You were a great help and spot on my friend! Thanks!!!

good job

your welcome

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer