Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We were told our 2008 AWD MKX needs a new axle because of a…

Customer Question
We were told our...

We were told our 2008 AWD MKX needs a new axle because of a bad tone ring. It seems other answers imply we can get the tone ring replaced without replacing the axle. True or Falso

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. We will need to hire this done. We took it to a Ford Dealership.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We need to know if it is safe to drive the car with the idiot lights on, thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Wrench, ABS and traction control - but they are on only at highway speeds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/21/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so with the tone ring missing you will be able to drive the car but do have a significantly reduced abs system and when in a emergency situation will not work properly, so if your just trying to get ot to the dealer it should be ok but I wouldn't recommend driving it more than that. As far as the tone ring is concerned, you can get it replaced, but in come cases it would be almost just as much to do the tone ring as it would to replace the axle, as you have to do the same amount of work if not a little bit more just to replace the ring.

hello?

Lincoln Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician