Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I believe im having the same issue re timing my 05 navigator…

Customer Question
I believe im having the...
I believe im having the same issue re timing my 05 navigator 5.4l 3v. I know my motor is a non interference motor and my timing marks are not lining up on the chains. So i decide to time from scratch. If i need to roll over a cam without the chains on is this possible. I neef to know where my crank needs to be and were cam lobes should be pointing
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/20/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

The valves will hit the pistons on this engine if you rotate the crank and the cams separately. Now, you can rotate them a fairly good amount without anything hitting in order to get the timing marks lined up.

This isn't terribly hard, but it's easier to explain with a diagram. Would a diagram showing how to time the engine from scratch help?

i havent had any issues turning crank freely. I just need to make the phasers match the correct positions lh l rh r with cam lobes in the correct position. crank keyway at 10 oclock. And i cannot get the chains to line up on the marks

Here is the assembly diagram. Page 16 or so is where the timing set-up starts.

I believe my crankshaft got moved out of position to correlate with correct camshaft position for realigning timing marks. Even if i put chains on correctly with crank at six phaser off but chain on phaser it will not line up with cam key way for the phaser pin. Lh side. Havent even attempted right yet
being its a non interference motor can i turn the crank to get my cams to line up and then get my marks on the chains to line up

I'm pretty sure it's not a non-interference engine. If you have to rotate the cam in order to get the phaser to line up you will need to remove the keepers so the valves don't open.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

if my problem is only on the driver side. I need to pull all of the rockers. Caps etc on that side? And rotate it to match. Im still confused. I guess what i need to know is if the crank dot is at the 6 o clock. Which direction should the phasers fifth finger on each side be pointing. And if im at the 12 o clock which direction. This may be were my confusion is coming from.

This diagram is a little easier to understand. It focuses on the timing procedure.

Lincoln Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

Let me know if you need additional info.

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Ive also got a 200 marquis 4.6l im noticing a shudder at highrpm right after the trans shifts into 3rd? Any advice is appreciated
Oh and ive gotten the navigator finished and running. Information greatly appreciated

Are you seeing any transmission related trouble codes on the mercury?

Only abs and traction control lrft and right vehicle speed sensors out of calibration

That shouldn't cause a shudder.

I would probably start with replacing the transmission filter and fluid and see if the shudder goes away. As long as the fluid doesn't look completely burnt and have metal filings in it. If it does then changing the fluid will probably finish the transmission off and you would be better off driving it until it dies on its own.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician