Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pearl, we own a 2015 Lincoln Mks that has all wheel drive…

Pearl, we own a...

Pearl, we own a 2015 Lincoln Mks that has all wheel drive (AWD). We are looking for the tolerance range of the 4 tires on an AWD equipped car. We understand that need to be close in circumference so the AWD control system is not always trying to apply power to a particular wheel because it thinks it is going slower due to tire circumference or diameter. We also understand that this puts the differential in a constant slip mode because one tire is rotating faster or slower that the other on the same axel. We understand that this is normal for turning while in motion. This assumes that all 4 tires are the same make and size however ... Rt Ft tire tread measures 10/32. The other three tires measure 6/32. That is a 4/32 difference in tread depth. Everything we have found indicates that the maximum tread difference on an AWD equipped car should be 3/32 or less. We are looking for the document tolerance from Ford/Lincoln. Dan Daniels

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you bought the tires yet?

No, arguing with the dealer about the tires. This is a CPO Certified car. I want the to replace at least one and I will buy two more.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am asking for the documented tread depth tolerance from Ford for a AWD car. Not fixing anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks, ***** ***** my main concern. Appreciate you.

If you find this specification. We need to have a copy or know where to find it so we can show it to the Lincoln dealer.
9/19/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

I can not find anywhere on the Ford info in the repair guides the allowable tolerance. I know from going to all the Ford schools though. You measure the tire circumference with the car off the ground using a nylon tape measure. Comparing all 4 tires the max difference from smallest tire to largest one is 1/4 inch.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
I guess I can do the math to translate the 1/4 in in circumference to xx/32 in tread depth. I will take this back to the dealer to see if we get anywhere. I am about to spend $1,200 dollars for tires and my position is that the dealer selling me a CPO unit should pay for some of this. Thanks for your feedback. I could not fine anything either. Regards, Dan

You are welcome