Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Lincoln LS..a few weeks back I lost the in…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Lincoln LS..a few weeks back I lost the in town power steering, I took it to a shop,they said power steering pump...nope. went to another they said the pressure switch was testing good..so they change the solinoid...nope. now im being told its the FEM but can't find any info on what it controls......HELP

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent it works great for high speed just not in town

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im just getting started can't afford any more shops

9/17/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so have they replaced the pump? That would be the first thing I would suspect with it working at high speeds, you mat have a restriction in the supply

they checked that to..they said. does the front electronic module have anything to do with the power steering?

yes it tells the pressure valve what to do and is integrated with the abs and pcm system, did they put it on the scanner to look for proper functions?

he said they did a full check and it was throwing an electrical code???? not what that meant

do you happen to have the code?

no..i scanned it and there was no codes available
all I really got was they didn't change the pressure switch and it "probably" needs a FEM which are no long made

well thats not cool, im looking now for some testing on that system so we can confirm for sure whats going on

is your scanner able to to the self test on the fem?

no..sorry..when they code i check with EBd2

so with out those capabilities we can just check power and ground at fem and see what output voltage your at varying speeds and what its telling the valve to do,

gettin to sound like its time for the lincoln dealer or buy a used FEM cross my finger

im looking at some of them on e bay, it wouldnt hurt to get one from someone who says came out of working vehicle, you can also take apart the unit and see if there are any broken solder joints if testing was bad, it would be nice though to see what the system self test says

if I do buy one...do I need to have the dealer load it?

yes it does need to be configured, the old one needs to be downloaded new one replaced and then download that info to the new fem

ok thanks...guess I'll get on it try to make it work

sounds good let me know how it works out and if you have any more questions

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free up to 3 weeks! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. So if you run into any issues later dont hesitate to log back on and shoot me a question, it will be covered under the original fee and I would like to see you get the most out of your hard earned dollar.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started