Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Why is my car overheating?

Customer Question
Why is my car overheating?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/10/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Most of the time the cooling fan module (or controller) is to blame for the overheating on the MKZ. Have you got it swapped out yet?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Ive purchased a new fan control module but am unable to locate the part on the car, information o found showed it o be located on the front end to the side of the radiator. I pulled the intake a looked all around but was unable to locate it. Is that the correct location?

It should be located on the fan shroud. CLICK HERE for diagram.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

I checked again and nowhere on the radiator fan shroud or around it is the fan controller on this car. Unless it's underneath the shroud between the radiator and shroud itself, which I could still see a lot of but not everywhere.

Can you give me the VIN number and also attach a photo of the piece you have to his chat?

The vin number is ***** this is a link to the part i purchased https://www.1aauto.com/radiator-cooling-fan-control-module/i/1aecm00014?f=1107752&y=2007&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=ECM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbfnjKye1gIVUzRpCh2nSQLTEAQYASABEgITNPD_BwE

Ok thanks. While I look into this, please take a quick moment to rate my assistance.

Ok. Your vehicle is a 2007. And the reason you do not have that module is because on the 3.5 engine the cooling fan module is part of the fan assembly. On the 2.0 or 3.0 engines they have the module. That is why it technically fits the 2007 mkz.

Ok, I have a replacement cooling fan assembly that I have not installed yet. Can you tell me at what temperature the cooling fan should be commanded on so I can verify the new assembly solves the issue?

According to the shop manual the cooling fan will be commanded on anywhere from 206-222F. And remember that fan is duty cycled by the computer, meaning that it can be put on slowly, or it can be on fast. Depends what the computer wants. It is not just a high/low fan.

I work during the week, when I'm able to install the new cooling fans this weekend and see if the issue is resolved I will respond and rate. Thank you

Ok. Just wanting to see if you were getting anywhere. Thanks.