Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 Town Car has a peculiar issue; the air springs were…

Customer Question
My 2003 Town Car has...
My 2003 Town Car has a peculiar issue; the air springs were leaking when I bought it so I've replaced them but now about a year later the "Check Air Suspension" light on the dash is illuminated, the air suspension system itself only works intermittently, and both air spring solenoids energize themselves at random. This can happen when the car is running, or if it is just sitting parked and locked. You can hear the rear spring solenoids clicking, sometimes rapidly, sometimes just a few clicks, sometimes just one click, at random. Similar sound to a failing relay. The air compressor and the vent solenoid work as designed, when they are working. Is this a symptom of the spring solenoids themselves failing, or do you think there is a short somewhere in the system? How would you go about solving this issue? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
9/9/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it sounds like a possible issue with maybe the ride height sensor. Inspect it to make sure the linkage is connected and not loose or falling apart. Otherwise a diagnostic check for codes of the air suspension system would need to be done. This would be a trip to the dealer since it requires special diagnostic equipment to check and see if codes are stored indicating a problem with the air suspension control module or relay for the air suspension system. There is a series of tests to be run to check the complete operation of the system besides just pulling codes.

if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to rate the question, so I get credit for helping you

Thanks for your reply. I've already replaced the ride height sensor with a brand new OEM unit. From what I understand, the suspension control module is responsible for energizing the air spring solenoids, so the problem must be either with the control module, the solenoids themselves, or the wiring/connections in between. Any additional information on tests I can do myself, or past experience with the spring solenoids randomly energizing/clicking? I understand in an ideal world you would pull the codes, but I don't have access to a dealer level scan tool and not keen on paying over $100 to have the dealer tell me my suspension system is faulty. If you are able to help me solve my problem, I'm happy to compensate you.

All the tests, with codes or without are driven around the use of a scan tool, this system is a major pain to try and diagnose even with the scan tool, I would recommend inspecting the wiring going to the air suspension control module and if this looks ok, replace the air suspension control relay. If it still acts up and there is no sign of damage, the module may have a failure and it would have to be programmed to be replaced which is a trip to the dealer anyways. Your other option is to replace the air suspension system with coil springs.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Hello, do you need more help?

HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician