Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2006 lincoln zephyr randomly shuts off, just like turning

Customer Question

2006 lincoln zephyr randomly shuts off, just like turning key off. have knock sensor code and had cam position sensor codes. replaced both cam position sensors , no help. fuel pressure 55 koeo and 65 cranking.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Did your repair address the code you have?

Does it ping under load?

Does it stall when applying throttle or when coasting/braking?

Does it restart easy or with troubles?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cam sensor code hasn't come back. Sometimes fires right up,sometimes sputters.runs excellent for about 20 minutes on a cold start

Thanks for those details.

Does it ping under load?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not for the first 20 minutes, after that when u can keep it running it pings

Thanks, ***** ***** noticed any concerns with it running above operating temp?

Once past 20 minutes does it struggle to stay running at idle as well as well as driving rpm and loads?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep

I need to confirm that yep answer was to both questions I asked?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem with temp, after 20 minutes it struggles under all conditions

Thanks, ***** ***** code means there is preignition occurring. That means the air fuel mixture is trying to ignite from heat in the cylinder before the spark plug does so. Since it is not running hot that means we need to see if there is a fuel or mixture or spark plug issue. Can you monitor the fuel pressure while running rough to verify it maintains 65 psi, I know you gave me those readings but unknown if that was during this issue or when running well. Next use some injector cleaner double strength through the fuel tank and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. Check the plugs to see if they are incorrect or worn or older than 70k. There is a TSB from Ford to reprogram the PCM for a knock sensor code present and no found issues to blame.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok,I'll check those things over the weekend and get back with u.thanks

You are welcome

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris