Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

2004 Lincoln Aviator. Misfire code on cylinder #7. What's

2004 Lincoln Aviator. Misfire code...
2004 Lincoln Aviator. Misfire code on cylinder #7. What's the best (less expensive) way to repair, cylinder head replacement on left side only (as recommended) or engine replacement? Engine will have to be pulled anyway to reach head correct? Motor has 105,000 miles and otherwise runs fine.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: Yes. No it hasn't stalled but it has run rough while idling and check engine started to flash. Was reset and coil changed, runs ok but light is back on with same misfire code.
JA: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm just troubleshooting along with my local dealership. Plugs, Coil.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just seeing what my best options are.
8/15/2017
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Head replacement much cheaper. I've never pulled an engine on one to replace a head. It can be done without removing the engine, I've done it many times. the issue is the headbolts, the rearward ones need to be pulled up flush with the deck and held in place with rubberbands. The bolts will not clear trying to install or remove with the head in place. You simply pull up the rear 4 bolts then use rubberbands around the bolts to hold them in place. When the new head is installed the 4 rear bolts are set in the head and rubberbanded together to hold them up. This is the only reason they want you to pull the engine.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks I don't think the dealership has done it before on this make and model. They were just going by what they looked up, and felt you would need to pull it to gain access to the head. From what I have been reading, it was fairly prevalent problem with #7 enough that Ford issued a TSB and has a personal recall to replace the coils but that the head would eventually need to be changed.

Yes very common for the head to fail. Especially #7 and #8 cylinders. Its been a while since I have seen one, But back in the day I probably did 20 or more. These are great engines except for that issue, so I never saw a reason to replace the whole engine.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Approximately how many hours should it take to replace the head using this technique?

8-10 hours.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician