A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I was told that my 2010 Lincoln MKS with 101,366 miles, has

I was told that my 2010 Lincoln MKS with 101,366 miles, has a bad PTU which will cost me $1700 to repair. The car is leaking a black fluid. I have not had it in for its 100,000 mile check up.
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: It is black and it is in the front of the car which makes it almost look like an oil leak.
JA: Are you fixing your MKS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I am planning to take it in this week to a dealership for service.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I love the car and have not had any problems.

The fluid leaking you are seeing is more than likely coming from the PTU. The transmission fluid turns to almost a block color in your 2010 MKS transmission and it also flows through the PTU. This color is normal for this transmission. This is normal for MERCON® LV transmission fluid. If it was engine oil, it will be slightly brown, but not black.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this an expensive repair?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I plan to take my car in this week to have the 100,000 mile checkup and have this fixed.

If it is a seal, then maybe not, but if it is the case, then yes.