A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with dual climate heated cooled

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with dual climate heated cooled seats. the drivers side heat wont work. it comes on for about a minute then goes off. I can hear fa come on. Does this have a heating element

There are heating elements in the seat back and the seat bottom cushion. If the Heated Seat Module detects an open circuit or a short, it will shut the heated seats off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do the heater elements look like and is there wiring diagram so i can check for open or short> I had the seat completely out and apart yesterday I didn"t see any element or wires going to anything in the seat or back

The heating elements are located between the seat foam cushion and the seat cover.

See below for the pin point test we follow the wiring diagrams.

Sorry, those were for a 2010. The correct ones are below.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thank you let try those later today and i will let you know what i found.

Sounds good. Please keep me informed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I suppose to be checking the connectors under the driver side seat or passenger side

Just the drivers seat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I m under the drivers seat and there are 5 connectors 1 looks like Main then 4 going to a control box of some sort but I don't see the color wire the troubleshooting guide is calling for. Which one from the picture should I be testing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I go to fordparts.com and enter my VIN then search for heating element nothing comes up. Is it possible the element is in the motors?

They are heater mats. Below are exploded pictures of the seats to help you see the parts. Below is what the connector looks like and below are the location of the wiring connectors.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still don't see a heating element in seat back or the connector. See pics of the seat I have apart thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is the bottom of the seat and all connectors I do not see the one you sent a picture of. Unless it is on module under the passenger seat. It works fine in cooling just not heat and both fans run. I am just trying to repair wo the 1200.00 cost the dealer wants thank you again for your patience with me

Can you send me a picture of your AC control panel with the heated/cooled seat switches?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here you go

Below is your set up. You have the dual electronic climate control with the heated/cooled seats. You do not have a heater mat.

Ford had two different systems set up in the 2008 MKZ.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I don't have a heater mat then how is the seat heated? Is it all in the fan itself?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks that does look like a connector I have
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a hvac guy by trade and mechanic sometimes on the easy stuff.

Thermo-electric device (TED) and blower assembly within each front seat cushion and backrest. It has a built in element that heats the air for heat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks found bad lower heater in fan system thank you so much. How do I finish this and pay you?

Just accept my answers.