6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Senior Master Tech with 18 years dealership experience.
63005990

I drove it down a Minimum Maintenance road, got caught in

I drove it down a Minimum Maintenance road, got caught in the rain (and mud) and the rear air suspension quit working. It has slowly gotten lower and lower and does not level.
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: No fluid leaks. The ride is bad, I have not much air in the back bags
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2000 Lincoln Continental. Low miles. Extraordinarily good condition.
JA: Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything yet. I am fixing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.

Can you hear the air suspension compressor running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The compressor does run (but not constantly). The usual sound after you first start the car for 5-10 seconds. But no raising in the rear, and the air ride control in the trunk is definately on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have recently had oral cancer surgery, so I cannot talk on the phone....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the compressor stops running, the sensor lites up on the dash that states "Check ride control".
Alright. It would really be helpful to know what codes are in the system, but a high level scan tool is needed to access the air ride module. A regular obdII code reader will not work. Without that, are you able to look under the car and inspect the air lines and height sensor? I can send diagrams of where they are.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure, can do. I kind of know, but the diagrams are welcome.

The height sensor will look like this. The sensors attach to two ball studs. They just pop on. Often times they get knocked off and stretch out under their spring pressure. The module thinks the vehicle has raised and then does not send air pressure to the rear.

If the sensor is not disconnected, it's recommended to have the codes read, otherwise we would be throwing parts at the problem.

Hello. Just checking in to see if you made any progress

I hope this has been helpful. Your satisfaction is my number one goal. When your question has been answered satisfactorily, please take a moment to submit a rating for our interaction. This is my personal report card and how experts are compensated for their time. There is no additional charge and you can always post back here with updates or follow ups.