Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

My 2004 Lincoln LS acts like the brakes are being applied

Customer Question

My 2004 Lincoln LS acts like the brakes are being applied while I am driving, only when the car's suspension is compressed when traveling over uneven terrain like a bridge or dips in the road.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Are you getting any lights on in the dash or had the vehicle scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No engine diagnostic codes or check engine lights

does it feel like its actually braking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought it might just be the throttle closing during the suspension compression but even when I let off the throttle it feels like the brakes are being applied. Not to the point of stopping but a definite decrease in wheel speed. Fuel mileage is down 2-3 MPG. This car is my wifes and I have not driven it in several months. It was necessary to replace the rotors in the front and have the rotors in the rear resurfaced at about 100,000 miles. My wife is not heavy on the brakes and drives very conservatively.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I drove it with my wife in the passenger seat and we both feel like the brakes are being applied during the suspension compression.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The throttle appears to be acting up a little, it appears to be not as responsive as it should be. In neutral you can floor it and the RPMs rise only up to 2500 and very slowly. While driving in drive the throttle works better and will accelerate but very sluggish with regards ***** ***** fast it responds to the pedal input.

from that description I would start with a throttle body clean and MAF clean with a computer reset, that should get the vales back to 0 and will relearn the throttle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I agree but that is an isolated condition and should not impact the braking system

hard to say if its not going to work when you havent even tried it yet

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright, I will clean the throttle body and MAF sensor today. How would you inspect and clean the MAF sensor? Remove and inspect only?

there is special MAF spray you need to use on that, you can get it at any auto parts store, I also recommend for the throttle body clean a tooth brush and very aggressive carb cleaner and a towel to wipe out the excess there should be no carbon residue visible when done. After that, unhook battery neg first then pos, touch both terminals together and let sit for 30 mins, re apply pos then neg cables and perform relearn, 10 mins idle no accessories on, 10 mins accessories on and I mean everything in the car that can turn on , then 10 mins in drive with accessories on, turn off and restart and test drive

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, will do. Thank you for your assistance.

no problem I hope this fixes the issue if not its something that needed to be done anyways I recommend this service every 30k atleast