Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My tailgate won't open. Is there a way to open it manually?

Customer Question
My tailgate won't open...

My tailgate won't open. Is there a way to open it manually? It's a 2011 mkt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It would go up...then stop and then go down.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Lincoln
8/5/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may or may not be able to open it manually depending on what the failure is.

Near the center of the liftgate trim panel there is a panel that will pop out. If you pop this panel out using a trim stick or screwdriver it will reveal a manual release lever. If this lever does not work then odds are the failure is with the latch and it will need to be replaced.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!