A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Rattle on cold start, 8 months or more.. top of engine..

Customer Question

Rattle on cold start
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 8 months or more.. top of engine.. sounds like a diesel
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2007 navigator
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changing oil type, filter, fuel injector cleanse.. according to blogs folks in same position have done everything the Lincoln dealers have told them and the rattle still persist
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't done an cold oil pressure check
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 months ago.

Is the noise constant?
Is it only on cold start up?
Is it on both sides of the engine or just one side?
Is it louder under the front fenderwell or on top of the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No just on start up if truck has been sitting at least 30 min. Top of engine.. really loud after oil changes

Have you tried any mechanical repairs to the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No.. was thinking I would start with cold oil pressure check
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Reading blogs, it seems to be a common problem with 5.4 Ford motors and no one has resolve the problem after Lincoln dealer tried different repairs

The noise you are hearing is caused by oil pressure leaking down from the top of the engine back to the oil pan and also oil is draining back out of the timing chain tensioners. The tensioners operate on oil pressure.

What did the Lincoln dealer do to try to fix your engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't taken it yet

I guess you have probably already read about the noise problems in the 3 valve 5.4L engine. Being a Ford technician, I am glad Ford stopped production of these engines.

The common problems these engines have are timing chain tensioners, valve guides that wear and causing ticking noises, cam followers (rocker arms) that fail and cause ticking noises and miss fires. Oil pressure problems to the cylinder heads which causes camshaft scoring and low oil pressure to the valve train.

Camshaft phasers that break apart and fail.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Afraid of spending unnecessary money if they can't fix problem or at least diagnose correctly. I work for Ford and my coworker came up with similar diagnose to what you said. Guess its time to either go to Lincoln dealer or get rid of
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That sounds like a very expensive repair

The tensioners are cheap, just the labor is expensive. But since I cannot hear the actual noise from your engine, I am only basing my answer off your descriptions.