Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

2007 Lincoln radio, part number BW1T-18C816-CA will not turn…

Customer Question
2007 Lincoln radio, part...

2007 Lincoln radio, part number BW1T-18C816-CA will not turn on Audio. Getting power to unit and CD Player will display and load CD's. No Radio or sound when on button pushed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes all OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Lincoln?

Signature Limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes have replace radio with refurbished unit and same results.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

N Is there an audio amplifier in the trunk that need to be looked at?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Lincoln
7/29/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Davehop, Ford Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician
Hello and welcome to Jay a... What is the model of your Lincoln?
Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited Series 2007

IS THE AUDIO NOT PLAYING AT ALL OR IS IT ONLY NO SOUND IN CERTAIN MODES?

does your vehicle have navigation or is it just basic am/fm/cd?

This is useless!
Since I'm not there with your vehicle, I need you to be my eyes and hands, I will be asking you some questions and maybe asking you to check a few things for me that will help me to determine what may be wrong with your vehicle so we may be going back and forth a few times until we come to a solution, are you able to do that for me so I can help you find out what's wrong with your vehicle?
No, I do not have navigation system. The radio model is a 6 CD player with AM/FM, Sound Mark

OK...THANK YOU FOR THE ADDED INFO...I NEED YOU TO OPEN THE TRUNK...IN THE TRUNK, UNDER THE AREA WHERE THE REAR SPEAKERS ARE...WE CALL THIS THE PACKAGE TRAY...THERE SHOULD BE 3 OR 4 RETAINING CLIPS OR SCREWS THAT HOLD THE TRIM PANEL THAT COVERS UNDERNEATH THE REAR SPEAKERS...I NEED YOU TO REMOVE THIS PANEL, THEN ONCE ITS REMOVED, THE AMPLIFIER IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PACKAGE TRAY...I NEED YOU TO GIVE IT A COUPLE OF SMACKS WITH THE PALM OF YOUR HAND...DO THIS WHILE THE RADIO IS IN THE ON POSITION...LETS SEE IF WE CAN MAKE IT COME BACK TO LIFE...

Can not turn radio on. Push button on radio does not activate the radio. I am getting power to the radio and CD player can load and eject CD's and display but not play.
Did bang on Trunk amp. Nothing.

OK...DO YOU HAVE A DVOM? WE NEED TO CHECK THE WIRING AT THE AMPLIFIER.

I have a VOM

OK....THERE IS A GRAY CONNECTOR THAT PLUGS INTO THE AMPLIFIER...IT HAS SPACE FOR 10 WIRES IN IT, BUT ONLY 5 WIRES GOING TO IT...THE RED/YELLOW WIRE IS THE POWER WIRE...IT SHOULD HAVE POWER AT ALL TIMES...THE BLACK WIRE IS THE GROUND WIRE....UNPLUG THER CONNECTOR...PUT THE NEGATIVE LEAD OF YOUR METER INTO THE TERMINAL FOR THE BLACK WIRE...THEN PUT THE POSITIVE LEAD INTO THE TERMINAL FOR THE RED/YELLOW WIRE...TELL ME HOW MANY DC VOLTS YOU HAVE.

Module located on right side of trunk has a black Connector with a White, Red & Black, Green & Yellow, Black and a Brown & White leads. Show about 2 vdc off Back and White leads. There is a module on the left side of trunk that has two grey plugs but no Red/Yellow wire.
Actually reads about 12vdc.
Module on left side of trunk looks like amplifier has 4 connectors. Brown connector looks like power connector with black lead and Yellow/black lead. Read 12vdc off this connector..
the red and yellow wire is the power wire that one has 12 volts?
The amplifier is going to be a large Square module it's going to have what appear to be grooves or as we call them cooling fins on the outside of the module is probably going to be around the size of a if you took two cartons of eggs and held them next to each other that's about how big the amplifier should be hopefully that helps
Can you take a better picture of the amp so it has the entire label on it so I can see and make sure that's the right one that you're checking please
Can you take a picture with the label of the module that's on the right side of the trunk please I'm not at work any longer so I don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me so if you could send me a picture of the other module that's in the trunk please
Ok...neither of those are an amplifier....the area I want you to look at is under where the rear speakers are mounted...can you take a picture of that whole area and send it to me please?
Lincoln Trunk Pic's.
Lincoln Trunk1.jpgLincoln...jpgLincoln Trunk2.jpgLincoln...jpgLincoln Trunk3.jpgLincoln...jpgLincoln Trunk4.jpgLincoln...jpg
The picture of the amplifier does show that the wiring colors in the service manual are different than what you have...can I get back to you tomorrow morning when I'm back at the shop and I can take another look at the wiring schematic?
OK
Good morning, I'm looking at the wiring schematic and sure as day red yellow wire going into pin number five of that gray connector to the subwoofer amplifier is where the power is coming from

since im not there with the vehicle, I need you to be my eyes and hands...do any of the connectors going into the amp have only five wires?

None. One has 4 and one has 6 leads. Check Photos.
No I understand I looked at the photos again and unfortunately the picture that you sent me of the amplifier the wiring schematic does not match up to the wiring schematic that I have from the Ford website
send me the schematics.

In the one picture, I see a gray connector with a red/ yellow wire plugged into the amplifier...that is the wire we need to see if it has power

Davehop
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician