Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Fully certified by Ford Motor Company in all areas of automotive repair, 25 years Dealership Tech
14289869

2007 Lincoln radio, part number BW1T-18C816-CA will not turn

Customer Question

2007 Lincoln radio, part number BW1T-18C816-CA will not turn on Audio. Getting power to unit and CD Player will display and load CD's. No Radio or sound when on button pushed.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes all OK.
JA: What is the model of your '07 Lincoln?
Customer: Signature Limited
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes have replace radio with refurbished unit and same results.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: n Is there an audio amplifier in the trunk that need to be looked at?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Jay a... What is the model of your Lincoln?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited Series 2007
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

IS THE AUDIO NOT PLAYING AT ALL OR IS IT ONLY NO SOUND IN CERTAIN MODES?

Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

does your vehicle have navigation or is it just basic am/fm/cd?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is useless!
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Since I'm not there with your vehicle, I need you to be my eyes and hands, I will be asking you some questions and maybe asking you to check a few things for me that will help me to determine what may be wrong with your vehicle so we may be going back and forth a few times until we come to a solution, are you able to do that for me so I can help you find out what's wrong with your vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I do not have navigation system. The radio model is a 6 CD player with AM/FM, Sound Mark
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

OK...THANK YOU FOR THE ADDED INFO...I NEED YOU TO OPEN THE TRUNK...IN THE TRUNK, UNDER THE AREA WHERE THE REAR SPEAKERS ARE...WE CALL THIS THE PACKAGE TRAY...THERE SHOULD BE 3 OR 4 RETAINING CLIPS OR SCREWS THAT HOLD THE TRIM PANEL THAT COVERS UNDERNEATH THE REAR SPEAKERS...I NEED YOU TO REMOVE THIS PANEL, THEN ONCE ITS REMOVED, THE AMPLIFIER IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PACKAGE TRAY...I NEED YOU TO GIVE IT A COUPLE OF SMACKS WITH THE PALM OF YOUR HAND...DO THIS WHILE THE RADIO IS IN THE ON POSITION...LETS SEE IF WE CAN MAKE IT COME BACK TO LIFE...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can not turn radio on. Push button on radio does not activate the radio. I am getting power to the radio and CD player can load and eject CD's and display but not play.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did bang on Trunk amp. Nothing.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

OK...DO YOU HAVE A DVOM? WE NEED TO CHECK THE WIRING AT THE AMPLIFIER.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a VOM
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

OK....THERE IS A GRAY CONNECTOR THAT PLUGS INTO THE AMPLIFIER...IT HAS SPACE FOR 10 WIRES IN IT, BUT ONLY 5 WIRES GOING TO IT...THE RED/YELLOW WIRE IS THE POWER WIRE...IT SHOULD HAVE POWER AT ALL TIMES...THE BLACK WIRE IS THE GROUND WIRE....UNPLUG THER CONNECTOR...PUT THE NEGATIVE LEAD OF YOUR METER INTO THE TERMINAL FOR THE BLACK WIRE...THEN PUT THE POSITIVE LEAD INTO THE TERMINAL FOR THE RED/YELLOW WIRE...TELL ME HOW MANY DC VOLTS YOU HAVE.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Module located on right side of trunk has a black Connector with a White, Red & Black, Green & Yellow, Black and a Brown & White leads. Show about 2 vdc off Back and White leads. There is a module on the left side of trunk that has two grey plugs but no Red/Yellow wire.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually reads about 12vdc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Module on left side of trunk looks like amplifier has 4 connectors. Brown connector looks like power connector with black lead and Yellow/black lead. Read 12vdc off this connector..
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
the red and yellow wire is the power wire that one has 12 volts?
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
The amplifier is going to be a large Square module it's going to have what appear to be grooves or as we call them cooling fins on the outside of the module is probably going to be around the size of a if you took two cartons of eggs and held them next to each other that's about how big the amplifier should be hopefully that helps
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Amp is on left side of trunk with 4 connectors. Grey connector at top of amp has 4 leads, White, Brown/red, White/red, and Red/white
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Can you take a better picture of the amp so it has the entire label on it so I can see and make sure that's the right one that you're checking please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Try this.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Can you take a picture with the label of the module that's on the right side of the trunk please I'm not at work any longer so I don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me so if you could send me a picture of the other module that's in the trunk please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Left Trunk module.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Right Trunk Module.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok...neither of those are an amplifier....the area I want you to look at is under where the rear speakers are mounted...can you take a picture of that whole area and send it to me please?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
The picture of the amplifier does show that the wiring colors in the service manual are different than what you have...can I get back to you tomorrow morning when I'm back at the shop and I can take another look at the wiring schematic?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
Good morning, I'm looking at the wiring schematic and sure as day red yellow wire going into pin number five of that gray connector to the subwoofer amplifier is where the power is coming from
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

since im not there with the vehicle, I need you to be my eyes and hands...do any of the connectors going into the amp have only five wires?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
None. One has 4 and one has 6 leads. Check Photos.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.
No I understand I looked at the photos again and unfortunately the picture that you sent me of the amplifier the wiring schematic does not match up to the wiring schematic that I have from the Ford website
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
send me the schematics.
Expert:  Davehop replied 2 months ago.

In the one picture, I see a gray connector with a red/ yellow wire plugged into the amplifier...that is the wire we need to see if it has power