Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

1999 lincoln towncar cartier, has a parasitic draw that

kills battery overnight....
1999 lincoln towncar cartier, has a parasitic draw that kills battery overnight.
7/14/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

You will need to start by doing a battery draw test. To do this you remove each fuse one at a time then use a multimeter to check the amount of amperage draw going across each fuse. Whatever one has a high amount of amperage will indicate a problem on that circuit. Common problems to cause drain is alternator, radio, ac clutch relay, lighting control module, drivers and door module. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions during problem, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Thank you i want to help you do your job as effecient as possible....i have done a draw test and it has a .18 amp draw when i remove fuse 31 for light contol module/head light switch it goes to .04. I will unplug LCM and get it to .04 as well. I have replaced LCM with a reman module with same results. I figure i have a bulb on? Checked truck glove box and sun visors with no luck.

Have you tried to unplug the headlight switch to see if it drops? If not, that is where I would go next.

Unplugged headlight switch, clock, cig lighter, radio.
How long does it take normally for LCM to fully go to sleep did about 30 minutes

That is about right, I think the rebuilt LCM could be the problem. Verify that the ignition-feed fuses of the Lighting Control Module (LCM) are dropping all voltage when the ignition is turned off. This would include fuse 6 (15 amp) and fuse 13 (15 amp) of the instrument panel fuse box. If both fuses show a complete drop of voltage with the ignition turned off, verify that fuses 8 (15 amp) and 4 (10 amp) of the instrument panel fuse box are good and have hot-at-all-times power. If all circuit tests of the LCM power and key-in switch input check OK, it will suggest failure of the LCM. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

U think lcm possibly doing its job and theirs a bulb staying on and im missin it
Wouldnt think 2 lcms could have same failure

I think the LCM has probably failed, it is usually pretty hard to miss a bulb. But like you said, it is strange both have exact same problem. Does LCM shut off and stop pulling amps after 30 minutes?

To be honest im not sure if i waited that long on the reman one cause ill usually start looking at other stuff....i know i waited at least 15. Ill open a sun visor or open a door...maybe that resets the countdown..

I'm going to open question up to see if someone else has some ideas. Based on what I've heard it sounds like LCM is the issue but I'd hate to see you replace a good part.

Thanks
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician

Hello and welcome to JA.....does your Town Car have heated seats? I've had a few Town Cars with draws that were found to be stuck heated seat switches......

It has heated seats they are set to zero but i can unplug seat to make sure.....seats have power key off engine off?
I mean the heat part of seat has power key off?

Yes....unplug the heated seat switches one at a time and see if the draw goes away

Cool thanks ill give it a shot in the morning....im sure you saw already but the draw goes away when light control module is unplugged or 31 fuse is unplugged arw the seats controlled by lcm?

No....but indirectly the draw can feed through the LCM

I'll check in with you tomorrow

Thank you for your help ill give it a shot

DID YOU CHECK THE HEATED SEAT SWITCHES?

Pulled fuse for heated seats #6 interior with no change.....should i unplug multifunction switch?
No sorry should have listened to u didnt want to pull door panels im on it wont question u again. I assumed heated seat fuse was on its circuit

OK...JUST UNPLUG THE ACTUAL HEATED SEAT SWITCHES

Thank you for all your help lcm goes to sleep after 45 minutes i now have a .03 amp draw and i am happy.....
Awesome...please rate my answer, as that is the only way that I get credit for helping you... If you are not satisfied please keep asking questions until you are and thank you for using just answer

Hello....everything still ok with your Town Car?

Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician
Davehop
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician