Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

1998 lincoln navigator will not crank.Everytime i try turn

Customer Question

1998 lincoln navigator will not crank.Everytime i try turn the key i hear a click and the interior lights go off.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried jumping the battery but still the same.Do you think it might be the starter.I am fixing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes the truck was parked over 6 months but it started with the first key and drove normal for a day then wont start the next day
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  shawn patrick replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

So easiest way to start checking things for faults is to check starter for 12v signal on solenoid, ground and 12v to terminal while someone tries to crank.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok .Do i check that on solenoid itself or in the engine compartment?

check it on the starter, where the small signal wire goes into the starter, that should be 12v when trying to start, and your bigger cable should also be 12v in the rest position. also check continuity from the starter to block and if you can from starter to battery