Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a friend with a 1979 Lincoln Town car. I haven't

Customer Question

Hi. I have a friend with a 1979 Lincoln Town car. I haven't worked on an old engine in more than twenty years, and was an amateur then He needs me to set timing, points gap, and plug gap
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any change in your gas mileage lately?
Customer: I don't know the mileage, but he's experiencing pinging and poor gas mileage
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He's been to a number of mechanics, and they keep replacing parts (plugs and wires), but I'm guessing they are missing the minor things: timing while in drive, points or points gap, and plug gap.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If he knows a good technician for that car in southwestern ontario
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 4 months ago.

Are you working on the 460 engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it's 400 or 402
Expert:  Ronnie replied 4 months ago.

Okay that would be the 400, the 1979 came from the factory with electronic ignition and that means you do not have any points to set. Base ting is set at 12 degrees BTDC and the spark plug should be set at .042. When you set the base timing be sure to do it with the vacuum line removed from the vacuum advance unit on the distributor.