Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Has a rattling noise in the engine compartment, when coming…

Customer Question
Has a rattling noise...

Has a rattling noise in the engine compartment, when coming to a stop or starting out.. the engine light came on and showing catalytic converter. Could this make that kind of noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Two weeks yesterday. I can only tell when in motion it seems like the front toward the passenger side. , when it is sitting idol it sounds like a diesel engine and when you start out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2010 Lincoln MKT AWD 3.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKT yourself? What have you tried so far?

We had a shop look at the transmission and they said that was not it. and told us the code was listing the catalytic converter. I would like to do it my self.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lincoln
4/1/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your so I can help you better. I read your concerns and have a suggestion. Look under the vehicle on your exhaust piping for any loose heat shields as they over time rust and come loose making that type of noise. If they all seem ok then because you had a code for the catalytic convertor I would try hitting the cat with a rubber hammer to see if the insides have come loose as well then you need to replace it. Hope this gives you some direction to go . Please take the time to rate my service thank you.