Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental and I am having problems

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 1998...
Hello, I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental and I am having problems with my dash cluster lighting. None of the lights are working for the gauges or the radio. The lighting for the gauge needles, clock, climate control and shift indicator are all working and work with the dimmer switch. Any ideas on why the gauges and clock won't illuminate?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Fuses are all good, I am not sure that I can replace the bulbs in the cluster. I have not yet pulled the cluster to verify its condition.
JA: What year is your Lightning?
Customer: 1998 Lincoln Continental
JA: Are you fixing your Lightning yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I pulled the lighting control module and I checked the power output from the dimmer switch which is the light blue with a red stripe. Turned all the way down it was around 2.5 volts and all the way up was 10.7 volts. This was with the key in the run position, engine off and headlights on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/8/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
I am free now for a little bit now if that works for you?
If you can get me started in the right direction I can touch base with you tomorrow around lunch. I am going to call it a night, about what time is lunch for you?

Do you know how to pull the radio so we can check the illumination wire there?

No but I can give it a shot. I suppose I need a special tool to do so?

I need some clarification on what works and what does not. You wrote:

• The lighting for the , gauge needles clock, climate control and shift indicator are all working and work with the dimmer switch.
  • Any ideas on why the gauges and clock won't illuminate?
Okay radio is out, I am not sure what color wire I am looking for because there is no blue with red stripe running to it. The clock illuminates, the radio and the gauges do not.
I was hoping you could tell me why they are not working!
All the lighting works including the needles except for the gauges and the radio.
I found a pink wire with a blue stripe that has 4.6 volts to it but it does not change with the dimmer.

After further review of the the diagrams I do not believe I can help you find the break online. Ic an provide the wire diagram as my answer or I can opt out and let another help.

Thanks but that does not really resolve anything. Maybe someone else can help.

opting out now

Is someone else going to help me?
Lincoln Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Replace fuse #4 in the I/P fuse block and try it all again.

Okay I put a new fuse in the #4 spot and there was no change.

Ok, tell me if that fuse #4 has voltage and if so how much. You may have to turn the key on to run.

11.2 volts in the run position.

Check the voltage on fuse 37 also, same fuse box.

Then fuses 1 and 31, too. make sure you test both sides of the fuses too.

37, 11.4 volts key off
1, 11.4 volts key off
31, 11.6 volts key off

Ok, that is about all I can do. It's going to get more in depth that I am willing to go and I would hate to tell you to replace a module when I am not sure, so I will opt out as well. Good luck though.

Thanks for trying, is there another mechanic that wants to try?
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician