HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I have a 2010 lincoln MKT ecoboos with an push to start

Customer Question

I have a 2010 lincoln MKT ecoboos with an push to start issue. It will start 20 times hours later it will work again, to a couple days later not. Has new battery
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: perfectly clean
JA: Are you fixing your MKT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sprayed electronics cleaner into push button ... would rather not take to dealership.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car just got a new battery and computer 3 weeks ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.

Hello, what is it doing or not doing? WIll the dash light up when you push the button to on? WIll it just not engage the starter? Does it have blinking red theft lamp or error message saying the key is not detected?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything lights up normal ... just starter will not engage each and every time. Car has 111k so am thinking starter is issue as has new battery and push button and electronics respond as they should each time is pushed. FOB battery is good and responds without fail.
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.

Yes as long as he antitheft system is working properly it should crank over and start. You can test the starter circuit operation with a voltmeter and verify you have battery voltage on the large direct positive battery cable feed and the smaller solenoid wire at the starter when holding the key in the crank position. If both have battery voltage but no starter engagement the starter has failed. You can remove the starter and have is bench tested before replacement.

Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?