Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

No heat but blowing cold air, all good, 1996 Lincoln towncar

Customer Question
no heat but blowing cold...
no heat but blowing cold air
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: all good
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 1996 Lincoln towncar signature
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think its the control blend door it was clicking stopped when I took the fuse out. but the fuse back in started car when I pushed the floor button nothing but cold air
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/31/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

Very first thing to do is ensure the coolant level is up to the mark and if low top it up with the correct antifreeze or pre-mixed coolant as stated in the owners manual

I'd then check that the engine is getting up to temperature, if its not then its likely the thermostat needs changing.

If this is OK have a feel of the two coolant pipes that pass into the car through the engine bay bulkhead, both should be warm with a warm engine. If they're not then its likely the heater matrix is blocked and you should do a reverse flush on the cooling system to try and clean it out. This is done by removing the top hose from the radiator and placing a garden hose into the engine water outlet, and then run the hose until you get clean water coming out of the radiator.

If this doesn't help this only leaves checking out the motor / cable that moves the air mixing flap that allows the hot air from the matrix to enter the car air system.

This flap is controlled by the temperature knob / dial etc and I think is controlled with a small motor for your car so the thing to do is first get access to the back of the control knob and measure the voltages is present there, then trace the wiring back into the dash from the control to locate the motor.

It’s worth first checking the fuses for the fan / control circuit

I'd recommend first removing the glovebox ( undo lower edge hinges from dash) to gain access to the dashboard inner and also allow you to shine a torch to the back of the central console so you can start tracing the wire back and see how things are put together

Matt, Engineer