Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

1999 Lincoln town car runs rough on regular gas but runs

Customer Question

1999 Lincoln town car runs rough on regular gas but runs smooth on gasohol.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Does not want to idle in cold weather, mileage is not noticeably any different.
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to a local mechanic that changed the plugs. I have been putting in fuel injector cleaner. The injector cleaner helped more than r
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** will be helping to answer your questions today. Is your car E85 compatible? Do you get any check engine codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It did not show any code until recently it came on when trying to accelerate through rough running. It stayed on but have not had it checked.

What about the E85? Is your car rated to use the E85?

Your engine may not be rated to use E85 gasahol and when you use it and then go back to regular fuel your computer is having problems adjusting to change. When your running regular fuel what is your engine doing? Misfiring? Engine Pinging or spark knock?