Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 2003 lincoln navigator and I am trying to remove

Customer Question

I have a 2003 lincoln navigator and I am trying to remove the lower control arm do I need a special tool to get it out of the knuckle once I remove the nut
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 10 months ago.

I am confident that I can get you the instruction that you need. What are you looking for diagrams etc...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The bolt won't come out from the knuckle. I am talking about the bolt goes on behind the rotor I removed everything else but the bolt just won't come out do I need a ball joint press or something

So, you shouldn't need anything like that. Give me a few minutes and I will get back with you .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't get it to come out I didn't think I needed that anyway. It might be seized up or something

Is this the nut that you are talking about in the picture below?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No.
I am talking about the nut that holds bolt on the the lower control
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lower control arm has three bolts the bolt that screws behind the caliper at the bottom lower control arm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That picture you sent the bolt at the bottom of the rotor underneath the rotor

So the deal with these nuts are that they have thread locker on the bolts and so these are extremely hard to get off. I can send you a movie on how to get extra torque on this bolt if you will just rate my service as three stars or higher at the top of your screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got the nut off I can't get the bolt to pop up to remove the lower control arm. Do you follow what I am saying?

Perfectly now. You need to disconnect the lower control arm from the lower ball joint stud. bear with me and I will get you instruction on how to do this

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok

To separate the ball joint from the wheel knuckle, loosely install the nut back onto the bolt and then tap on the end of the stud.

Remove the nut and the wheel knuckle.

• Discard the nut.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the end of the bolt broke off not sure if the nut will go back on will I have to cut it if I can't get the nut back on

That is worth a try. So you will need to replace the lower ball joint and that will need to be pressed out of the lower control arm, before you put this all back together. There is a tool that you could rent at a parts store that will help separate the control arm from the knuckle. I will send you a link, this may be easier for you knowing that the bolt is broken.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a new lower control arm with the ball joint installed I just need to get this one out

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/ball-joint-separator

This will do the job, but if you need it done tonight you can use a crow bar/ pry bar to try and separate the two pieces.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been using the ball joint separator but it isn't working
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Are you still looking for help with this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I am good

Ok, I'm glad you got it resolved!