rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

In a rush to move car into our garage out of the rain of

Customer Question

In a rush to move car into our garage out of the rain of approaching hurricane Matthew the car battery was low I accidentally touched wrong battery charger terminals to car, got spark and security lockout was set. Could not start it. Now I have disconnected the battery and charged it but want to make sure I don't do something else stupid. I had this happen a couple years ago when I put an aftermarket radio and had to have the car towed to a dealer. They did not use any type of instrument just did some reset sequence and started the car. What is that reset sequence?
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: It is less than a year old, I think somehow the lights were left on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2007 MKZ
JA: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I want to fix it myself. I have disconnected the battery and charged but have not re-connected it
JA: The mechanic is ready to answer your MKZ question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Just the reset sequence for the engine security lockout. Chet Tingler(###) ###-####**@******.***
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I attached a reset procedure for you to follow, but if it doesn't work due to the voltage spike you caused, you will need to visit a shop so they can scan the computer to see what needs to be done for you.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer did not solve problem.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

that procedure was only a try like I said. Did you scan it and do you have data to share with me?

Thanks again and please remember to rate me for my time.