Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 yrs. of experience with all makes and models. Also factory training on other models.
2921078

Aviator power door lock problem

Customer Question

Aviator power door lock problem
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

what year is the truck and what is the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 Aviator power door locks. They work with the remote just not with the door switch.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have a test light or volt meter by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. Both
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, please give me a moment to pull up the wiring diagram, if you would like to pull the switch out while I do that it would be good. We can test the powers to the switch and see what's going on.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the pink/light blue wire is the power for the switch. Not sure if it's a 12 volt supply or 5 volt, but it's a start. Basically it's difficult to test without a scan tool. This is because the switch is actually only sending a signal to the micro computer, then the computer actually powers the door lock actuator. We do know the wiring is good from the computer and for the actuator, so really we just need to know the signal wire is good and that the switch is good.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay checking now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn,t see a pink light blue but I did see pink/yellow and a pink/green wire. I didn't have any power with those.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you like the VIN to make sure we aren't having a production date issue?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Shoot, it is pink and green, sorry, I was going to change that because I noticed I typed it wrong.

Ok.

See if anything changes on that pink/green when you push the button to lock and unlock the door.

Sorry, for giving you the wrong wiring color.

Also, you can do a test on the switch, by setting your meter to ohms and connecting to the p/g and the p/y wire and hitting the switch. If the meter shows no resistance, then resistance at least we know the switch is doing it's job.

The VIN isn't needed, it was my error and again, sorry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to the pink green wire. I will check the switch now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch doesn't have continuity. There is also a bit of corrosion around those two points. I am going to test the passenger switch as well.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well if the switch isn't getting any continuity, then it's not sending any signal. If it's not sending the signal I can't see it working to make the locks work.

Let me know on the other.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

wondering how you made out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the passenger switch. and it had continuity. However it would have continuity for a second then not then again over and over. Either way the wire that you said was supposed to have power did not so we may have two issues with the system.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I show these as reference wires. So, its possible the reference is for the switch sending the signal to the security control module. Then the module sends the power or ground to the door lock actuator. From here it sounds like the switch is the problem. Curious though, does the passenger switch work the locks at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the wiring diagram shows these wires going to the security control module. Sadly, I am not able to find it's location. I think I would check the harness on the driver side door, in the harness where it goes from the body into the door for broken wires. It's possible you just aren't sending any signal and it's not uncommon for these to break the wires in the door harness in that location. Normally it seems like the power windows fail first, but doesn't mean these can't break.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me pin locations. Lets trace it down.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

This is what I have..

Fords not giving up the location of the module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pink/green one is the one i need to check correct? Since neither the driver or passenger side is working then the break would have to be on the drivers side past where the passneger wire ties in closer to the security module correct?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Pink/green and pink/yellow are the signal wires, that's why I had you checking them. The only other wires are for the light on the switch.

Since I don't know where the module is, trying to make sense out of it or where the break is, isn't an easy thing. I know these wires usually break in the harness between the door and the body so that's where I would start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The module is on the pass side behind the second row of seats approx 18 inches up from where the second row seat belt attaches. I did a continuity check on the Pink/Green driver and passenger side wire the driver side has a break between it and the passenger side. the passenger side has continuity to the security module but still does not work the door locks. I did not check the pink/yellow one. I will be back in a few hours and will check it then. Keep this open I may need more help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, we can do that.

It doesn't close actually even after you rate. I should be on this morning, then again in the late afternoon and evening today.

You have to rate at some point if possible and I am really glad you were able to locate the security control module, I'm a little pissed the info isn't in the service manual to be honest.

Thanks for the update.