Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX. I've replaced the rear right

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Lincoln...
I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX. I've replaced the rear right wheel bearing and the front right wheel bearing. Also I did front and rear brakes/rotors. I brought my vehicle to a shop and had Left Outter tie rod end, and Front Sway Bar links replaced due to clunking/vibration in wheel. At the shop the Mechanic stated I had cupping on my front tires , to which I did see. Question is, I'm starting to get a vibration certain times , and it's like a rotation vibration. Can cupping cause this ? I know there are multiple causes of what I asked, but being the cupping was mentioned and you do see the inner tire wearing more, I'm wondering if this could be the cause before I start digging deeper. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/25/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. The cupping of the tires can cause a vibration at certain speeds and certain road conditions. What is most likely to cause vibration in the steering wheel when driving is the tire balance. You can have the garage check the balance of the tires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had the wheels balanced and allignement done. Was fine for about 1,000 miles and now getting a subtle vibration. Or more like something is in the tire kind of vibration.

Sometimes the weights can come off if they were not put on good. Especially if your wheels have sticky weights. You can rotate your tires and see if the slight vibration goes away or changes to the rear. This could help determine if the concern is from a tire or wheel.

Oh. And you can also have the tires road forced balance as well.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you and please rate my assistance using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician