Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

06 lincoln ls...cooling fan not coming on.

Customer Question

Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bob, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault code setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if fan was working before I had a problem the other day with recharging ac. First of alll.....the car was down for awhile,I replaced all the plastic cooling parts. Tried to add freon, ac clutch was not staying engaged...we heard a loud electrical fry sound and quit the ac recharge procedure.....now I noticce cooling fan won't turn on...it's the electric fan model...not hyd.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain how to back probe fan Ron?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Okay are you able to do some testing to see if the fan failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pull the connector leading straight down to the fan there is voltage on the wire(now disconnected) going to fan...soooo, there is power coming from some where else to the fan and not sure if I should backprobe to grnd. one of the small wires....must be some sort of modual in that fan motor, no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0480 thrown
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Before you consider replacing any thing run through the enclosed test steps. See them in the link below. The ground for the fan is supplied by the PCM. This system will usually also set a fault code and if you can scan the system it would make it easier to narrow this down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/cooling%20fan%20Aug%2017.pdf

See the wiring diagram for testing reference as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/cooling%20fan%20wiring%20Aug%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone told me if I disconnect the small white/black wire the fan should come on....but I didn't really want to do that so I contacted you.
I did use my powerprobe and tried hitting the 2 small wires at connector with grnd. but that didn't do anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if ac coil fried would that keep fan off Ron? I've tried running car with ac on...clutch doesn't engage and fan motor does not run.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

If the AC coil has fired and the clutch is not engaging then it will effect the fan. If you look at the front of the compressor are you seeing any signs of it being hot and fried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I disconnect car battery and hit red/yellow wire with powerprobe should that activate fan?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

If the fan is working you can disconnect the PCM (computer ) and turn the key on and the fan should run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't view that at the moment Ron...but ac is not engaging.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I disconnect pcm...relay? Which one Ron, thanks.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

You may be on the right track if the AC compressor is not coming on. Give me a minute and I post the steps to disconnect the PCM

Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

You can access the PCM connector on the passenger side of the engine compartment, all you need to do is disconnect it. That being said, have a look at the AC clutch first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%20Aug%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan connector has power even when key is off....that's why I tried to backprobe the small wires to grnd.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

The red/yellow wire at the fan is hot at all times, the green/blue wire is hot with the key on only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That being said, have a look at the AC clutch first.
Why do you say this Ron...is it not advisable to unplug pcm? If ac shows burn...that definetly means fan won't work? How do you test ac clutch circuit....scan tool required?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

If the AC clutch is burned it could be you whole problem. The compressor should run if the system has Freon in it before the fan comes on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red/yellow wire at the fan is hot at all times, the green/blue wire is hot with the key on only.What about the 2 small wires....white/black and the green.......can those be probed to ground to turn fan on?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

The black /yellow is ground at the fan and the black /white is the signal from the PCM. If you going to test the fans then the steps I sent you are the steps you need to follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you going to test the fans then the steps I sent you are the steps you need to follow.Thanks Ron, but those are just diagrams. Can you instruct me how to do the actual test? Probe to ground small wires??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I test ac clutch?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can check power and ground at the clutch with the AC on and if you have both and no clutch action then the clutch has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34; If you going to test the fans then the steps I sent you are the steps you need to follow."Thanks Ron, but those are just diagrams. Can you instruct me how to do the actual test? Probe to ground the small black/white wire? Or cut/disconnect it?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

These steps are the steps to check the fan, there not diagrams. The second link it the wiring diagram for testing reference.
See the test steps in the link below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the introduction page showing the pinpoints. When I click on the blue highlighted "KN; Pinepoint Test arrow....it doesn't take me to next instruction page.
Do I just grnd the black/white wire Ron? Or disconnect it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. I jumped it over and the fan only makes a groaning hum noise so I guess it's fried.
Can I ask you one more different question about this car Ron?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

If the fan did not spin then your correct, its fried. Im here all day . Post back with your question and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok great, thanks Ron!Alright, same car.....got misfire code for #7 cyl. but I tell ya it had to be more than one cyl. because the car would hardly run.
Changed all copo's, spark plugs, and did compression test(all cyls. good). BIG improvement but engine still little rough at idle and going down the road you have to sort of feather the gas pedal to get engine through lower rpm's(makes a boging sound through air intake/filter box)....once through rough part you can floor the pedal and engine makes it's nice growl through the exhaust and pulls hard and smooth.
I have leaerned how to do these pinpoint tests now(thanks to you!).....sooooo, how should I proceed with this misfire situation? I have a blue tooth OBD running "Torque" app.....if you're familiar with that.
Thanks!
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Is the computer system setting ant more fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO, but I "ve only driven around the block a few times. Need inspection to renew license plates!
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

One thing that comes to mind with this type of problem you are having could be a issue with the MAF (mass air flow sensor) . I would consider disconnecting the negative battery cable and then remove the MAF from the Air inlet hose and give it a good cleaning with some MAF cleaner . After you have done this start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and then take it for drive.