Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

What causes what feels like an egine miiss at 40-50 mph..

Customer Question
Engine diagnose finds no problem...
What causes what feels like an egine miiss at 40-50 mph.. Engine diagnose finds no problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/13/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. when you are cruising at that speed the vehicle should be in overdrive. when the vehicle starts shuddering and it feel like a misfire, it could be the torque converter clutch not locking up. Next time you are on the highway, and starting up a grade or small hill, tap the brake pedal with your left foot. the vehicle should automatically downshift. if not the the tcc will need to be looked at. have you checked the transmission fluid . check the level and the color. and the smell. it should be a nice red colr and have no burnt smell.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
David, Thanks for your answer, butIn or out of overdrive - no difference. Carl

Have you looked at the fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks and smells good but is due for a svc. Shows OK on scanner. Will have changed next Wed. Thanks. Carl

you might want to take it for a ride with the scan tool hooked up and monitor some of the parameters when it starts doing it. its always possible for a random misfire of a component under load and heat if its on its way out. but if it goes away when under that speed the computer wont set a code unless its a hard fault.

you can freeze frame the data when its happening then look at the frozen data when you get back.

Please rate my service if you are satisfied,as its the only way I get credit for my assistance. Thank you ...Have good one.

any chance you had a chance to do that?

do you still require assistance?

hello???????

Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to try and help with this possible ignition coil or converter clutch issue?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician