Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Have a 1998 VIII with 4r70w. Transmission has been regularly

Customer Question

Have a 1998 Mark VIII with 4r70w. Transmission has been regularly serviced. It stopped shifting a few weeks ago. No upshift or downshift to 2nd. I can manually shift 1st to 2nd to 3rd and it shifts into overdrive with no problem. Car has 120k on it. Dropped the pan and it was clean, filter was clean, fluid was clean and magnet had just a few small particles on it. Two transmission shops said not point in paying diagnostics if it is not shifting, then it will need a rebuild. Got a good scanner I use on the car and only code I get is with the KOEO test, I get PCM ROM read error and it cant complete the test. Shop said that is because PCM was reprogrammed for tune a few years back. No problems with transmission before this, just got up one morning and it would not automatically shift. I did notice a have a light tranny fluid leak around the torque converter area now.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

For the transmission not to automatically upshift in drive based on the symptoms you listed. It is going to be a faulty PCM, shift solenoids, or sticking valves within the valve body. The 2 shift solenoids can be tested while out as well as the valve body inspected. For the PCM command you would need to monitor the solenoid wiring from under the vehicle while on a rack and verify when the PCM shows a shift to occur the correct solenoid is getting a ground supply.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris