A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

The cooling fan is not coming on Lincoln ls 2002. What can I

Customer Question

The cooling fan is not coming on for my Lincoln ls 2002. What can I do to get it to come on?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: After starting the car and letting it run the fan did not turn on and the car over heated we hear a whining noise from the motor but the fan did not come on after the car was turned off. We took the relay 5 out which stopped the whining noise and put in a different one but now it is not making any noise nor is the fan moving.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes. The battery is a old battery and has to be changed to get the car to start up.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far changing the Relay 5 but it might need a different one. I have been looking on line for ways to fix the cooling fan but have had no luck on how to get it to turn on.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: So far getting the cooling fan working is the next step then I will working on getting the A/c cold.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What model 2002 Lincoln are you working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ls
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What engine does your LS have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V8
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your cooling fans are hydraulic. Make sure the reservoir for the cooling fans is full. They run on power steering fluid on automatic transmission fluid which would be Mercon V.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has transmission fluid in the reservoir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power steering is also full
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The hydraulic pump for the cooling fan may be the problem. It may have been the whining noise you were hearing. Start the engine up and turn the AC on and see if the fluid is moving in the reservoir.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at the car right now I am going to start back working on it tomorrow. I don't remember it moving when I start the car and turned the A/c on. If it is not moving what can I do about that?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You will need to replace the hydraulic pump for the cooling fan.