sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2000 Lincoln LS. Hard start or no start. Spark plugs replaced,

Customer Question

2000 Lincoln LS. Hard start or no start. Spark plugs replaced, coils replaced, fuel filter, fuel pump, and cam sensor replaced two days ago. All new parts replaced were done within 3 weeks and the problem persists. Car starts by spraying starter fluid in the throttle. No stalling, misfires, or abnormal behavior while driving it. Once it's run for a little it will start with no problem. Sometimes it'll die while still cold. No codes. Pressure tested the fuel line, stays a sturdy 30psi, battery tested good. Car has 82k miles. Oil change and air filter done close to a month ago
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Lincoln Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I'm a police officer former mechanic.... The pay is VERY different and the wife got a great deal on it. Any help that can end this headache will be greatly appreciated and I get to drive my car to work instead of her Lincoln. Love it, love her, hate the scents she has in it
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Spark plugs replaced, coils replaced, fuel filter, fuel pump, and cam sensor replaced two days ago. All new parts replaced were done within 3 weeks and the problem persists. Car starts by spraying starter fluid in the throttle. No stalling, misfires, or abnormal behavior while driving it. Once it's run for a little it will start with no problem. Sometimes it'll die while still cold. No codes. Pressure tested the fuel line, stays a sturdy 30psi, battery tested good. Car has 82k miles. Oil change and air filter done close to a month ago. Just filled it with 91 octane gas and added fuel injector cleaner
JA: Is there anything else the Lincoln Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln?
Customer: It smells like a unicorns ass inside....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today..Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. . There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say... Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page..https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3yzz0ligploi5c/COLD%20ENGINE%20FLOODING.pdf?dl=0 .Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** . Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your time and your reply. Unfortunately the TSB provided doesn't apply to this specific issue. The weather here doesn't meet the criteria. In my opinion that is a very risky fix and very pricey
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. It seems that you may be in a warmer climate and it is most likely not flooding. That is all that I could think of on it, beside what you have done so far, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it..*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ******** ..
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. A different expert here. Is your LS a vv6 or v8? Also have you attempted using the gas pedal to keep it running and see if it starts easier or does not stall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It's a v6. And yes I've used the gas pedal to start it. Used it as recommended in the owners manual and every other way with no change. Still only cranks
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Did the vehicle sit for a while? could it have bad gas or gad bad fuel from a filling station?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before we purchased it, it had sat for a while according to the owner. When we agreed to buy it she had it serviced by a mechanic at a vocational school. We've drove it daily approximately 15 miles highway and in town with no issues until mid March. In the last three weeks we have filled it with 91 octane approximately 3-4 times. In the last two weeks I've added fuel treatment and injector cleaner to the tank. We've filled it every time at different locations and have waited for the fuel to get low enough for the gas light to come on (per instructions on the fuel treatment bottles)
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Have you done anything with the mass air flow sensor? CLean it, replace it, see if it starts with it disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't. I'll try that next and get back to you later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One unusual fix for this that I read about was replacing or cleaning the idle air control sensor. What's your take on that?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
It is not an unusual fix. Idle air control valves are known for going bad. I asked previously if the car would start, or if you could keep it running if you gave it throttle and you said no. The reason I asked that is because if you could keep the car running that way and starting it would indicate the idle air control valve needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late reply. And yes that would make sense. I just got home and disconnected and pulled the maf sensor and started the car. It started up with no issues and no engine light showed up. It's not unusual for it to start though when it's already warmed up and been running. I've gone ahead and put the maf back in and disconnected the battery for a bit
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Perhaps try the MAF then when the car is cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You got it. Thank you for sticking through this with me. I'll message back later
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok your welcome. Please do remember to rate my service throughout this chat as well. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hooked the battery back up and tried to start it. Still hard start no. I used the gas pedal to try and start it, turned the key to the 4 position several times to make sure it had plenty of fuel pressure, gave it a second before I start it, no luck. I disconnected the maf and tried to start it, still just cranking and no start. I connected back up, sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle and started it. Had to pick my sick daughter up from school
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Have you done anything with the mass air flow sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only inspected it visually and seems fine and clean to me. Near new condition. Both small springs in it are really clean and intact, no trash or any type of debris. Connector still in good shape making good contact
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You cant really go by that. Have you tried to disconnect the connector when trying to start the car when it will not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understandable and yes. I may have forgotten to mention it when I started it this last time after disconnecting the battery
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Must be overlooking something. You said the fuel pressure is at 30psi. DId you check that with a fuel pressure gauge on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked it at the check valve with a gauge
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
THe spec for your car is 35-55psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel regulator needs changed then? Autozone had it wrong if that's the case
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize autozone diagnoses cars. I thought they sell parts. If you do have 30 psi then the pressure is low and the fuel pump would need changing. I am not 100% convinced that will fix your whole problem, but it is out of spec.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump is almost 2 weeks old. Fuel filter is 2 weeks old
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Different expert here. Are there any trouble codes in the processor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes appearing
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The low fuel pressure definitely needs to be addressed first. You either have a bad regulator, the pump is weak, or the pump may be running slowly due to a poor power or ground. Odds are the pump or regulator are the issue. If you believe the pump is ok then you can load test the power and ground and then replace the regulator if ok, but I worry that you may have bought an Autozone fuel pump since you mentioned them, aftermarket fuel pumps have shown pretty poor quality in my experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely look into that in the next few days and report back. Thank you for your help
You're welcome!