Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have a problem with My Lincoln Town Car that I would like

Customer Question

I have a problem with My Lincoln Town Car that I would like help troubleshoot ongoing. Thank you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. What problems are you having out of it? and , is the check engine light on now when driving? if so , have you checked the codes yet? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to start. Runs awful for 10 seconds then runs better. Needs throttle pressed at start to start and constant throttle to remain running. When fully warmed up it runs much better and with gradually easing off the pedal can get it to idle. If I let off the pedal quickly it will fall way down but does attempt to pull itself back up and often can. Exhaust was hollowed. Missing a plug, coil and injector. Stripped threads being fixed to tomorrow. Coil removed and injector unplugged. When I drove it today it would drive but hard to get going lots of pedal work needed. Seemed like too much throttle would bog it out so I had to find that sweet spot.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I gotcha, so it's only running on 7 cylinders now? We will have to get all the cylinders back to get it running like it should of course. It's having the plug coil and injector fixed tom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spark plug threads are stripped so it's getting an OEM Products insert installed. Would losing 1 Cyl cause all that?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

on a slighly underpowered 4.6 already I think it might. They run like a dog without all 8 cyl. but get that fixed and we can see what happens afterwards, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it should be mid day pacific time. The plugs are new motor raft and 2 new coil boots and all others cleaned. Last plug will be new also of course. Thanks a lot
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, If we get fire to all the plugs, and it's got good compression, and the injectors are all firing, it should perform like it should, tell him to check codes after he fixes the plugs, and if there are any codes stored, let me know what they are. thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do thanks. Off topic but you'll know. I'm wanting to swap front clip with a 2003+ Will the headlights connect or what would that require. I'm doing the plug insert and everything else myself. I have to wait till tomorrow to get the OEM Products tap milled down to 17mm because the 18 won't fit down the tube. Saw a guy with a Honda hit the same wall and he just made it smaller. lol oops OEM
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I can help you with the running problem, that's really a question for a body shop guy. My service manuals and references really don't give a good "what will swap with what" type scenarios. Front end/grill looks a little different, but, same generation car, so I would think it would fit, I'd be surprised if it didn't. You could ask at a junkyard, they have good references for those multi year swaps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The body panels fit for sure I was just wondering about headlight connector. I will just take a look at mine and then a newer one. Thanks talk tomorrow
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha, same headlamp bulb fits 2000 and 2003, hella(###) ###-#### should be the same if takes the same headlamp.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry 83175051

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sweet so if Insource from a 2003 which is new style it's plug and play. Thanks much !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I source ^
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

yup, talk tom. thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the plug in and drained a battery trying to start it. First time I wasn't able to start it before the battery died. Was trying to catch but would do that bop bop bop bop firing like 50rpm lol After it would catch but not really it would be tough to get to catch again needing the pedal held to the floor for a few seconds before catching again. It would increase the rpm if I would let off the gas almost all the way.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Is the plugs and injector fixed? Next I would check the codes, and fuel pressure with key on, should be close to 40 psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the plug, coil and injector are now back. Ok will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh the fuel pump and filter are new. Still check this?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I would if its running that bad, is the check engine light on now when its running? If so, Id like to know what codes are stored.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No CEL on never seen it on
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
ok, if the CEL isnt on, then I would def. check fuel pressure next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
ohm out the injectors too. see if there all reading around 14-18 ohms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good idea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's warmed up now. Still hard to keep it idling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definite missing there is a vibration in the motor. Was surging without pressing the pedal harder. That went away when I backed off the gas. Revs much better but still seems like it should be better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried driving it around and still had no power under load. Putting the 8th Cyl back in play didn't change the power under load performance at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hollow cats have a shitty sound. :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IfI have the RPMs low about idle and press the gas it seems to rev quicker and easier now that 8 is back but there is a strange immed vibration that goes away in less than a second the moment the throttle is pressed. Still won't idle drops too low and does. Stop no CEL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got a CEL. AutoZone doesn't check codes because somebody sued them. Figures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dirty throttle body??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Needs the slightest weight of my foot to stay running. That throttle body can't be opening anymore than 1/8" and that makes it stay running .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it does die it needs the gas pressed and held WOT before it will fire and then needs a drastic reduction in gas pedal to continue to start and rev and stay running
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like either low fuel pressure or a big vacuum leak if the engines running and you can get outside try to hear any hissing are big vacuum leak
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like something could be there but it won't run without me to really listen well. The cats are hollow so it has this strange sound now. Want either a Flowmaster to hide it or the cats back and go for quiet again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all live data. It's running now and the scanner just now got here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stored Code 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stored Code 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says no pending codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran it a while, cleared all codes and tested again. Now only one this one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.