Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

My 2007 Navigator does not start all the time, just cranks

Customer Question

My 2007 Navigator does not start all the time, just cranks over.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I turn the key to the on state, where all the dash info lights up, and keep it there for about 5 seconds, then it always starts up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened a couple of years ago, and the shop said the fuel pump was bad, and so replaced it- problem solved. Now same thing is happening, but found this trick of keeping the key in the ON position for about 5 seconds, and it always starts right up. Sure, I could replace the pump again for $600+, but it seems like there is something simpler that I could replace (sensor, valve, ???)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do know that one of my ignition coils is bad, but don't know if this is related.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

sounds like the ignition switch is not registering the key when you first put it in have you tried doing a relearn procedure on the key

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you do that? But sometimes it starts right up, and sometimes it doesn't. But if I wait with the key in the ON position, it always starts up.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

okay then its not the key and i didnt see where you had a bad ignition coil sorry change it out your problem will stop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the single bad coil is causing this problem, then why does it always work when I wait 5 seconds before cranking the engine?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I do not agree with changing the one bad coil is the fix here. The only thing that changes from starting immediate to waiting five seconds with the key on. Is the fuel pump has longer to run prior to cranking allowing it to build up more pressure. I notice you stated the pump was replaced already but I feel like its worth checking out.

Can you monitor the fuel pressure with a gauge in line on the fuel rail. You need to hit 62 psi minimum prior to cranking. If the pressure is slow to build you can have a restricted filter, weak pump, dirty pump relay contacts to blame.

The coil does need to be addressed but it will just cause a misfire, not this issue.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This makes a bit more sense. I will check these things out. However, if the fuel pump is bad again, wouldn't I have issues when I'm driving or accelerating? Could it be a bad fuel line or connection after the pump that is allowing the fuel in the line to seep back, so it takes longer to "prime the pump"? Is the pump relay an easy replacement or dealer item?

Kind of the best way to explain a fuel pump is like a person. It takes alot for us to get up and running full speed but once there, we can maintain it. A fuel pump has to work hard to get up to pressure and it has to do it fast. It can be weak and just not getting there quick enough, bit once up to speed and pressure it can maintain it , therefore it runs fine.

Yes you can replace a relay at home.

You would have a fuel odor pretty bad if there were a external leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing to add... If I immediately crank the engine and it won't start, and I repeat this same process multiple times, it will never start. Only by waiting 5 sec will it start. Wouldn't the multiple attempts at immediate starting build up enough pressure also?

The only way to know would be to perform a pressure check and see if those multiple attempts have gotten the pressure up enough. An engine trying to start is going to dump more fuel into the engine kind of like a choke on a lawnmower that allows less air in so its running richer and can get started. So even on those multiple attempts you may be in fact dropping the pressure more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try these things and let you know how it goes. Thanks. ***** have to drop the tank to get to the relay? Some info says it is on the frame, others says it is integrated with the pump.

The fuel pump relay is in the fuse box under the hood.

Did you find the relay and get a chance to check the fuel pressure?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris