EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

2006 Lincoln navigator has a metallic rattle at cold start.

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The dealer could not find problem as it needs to set over night or 8-10 hours before. noise occurs. I have replaced oil filter with dealer motorcraft and trying to diagnose myself. I think it could be a starter problem with the solenoid shaft not retracting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. When the noise is occurring, if you rev the engine does the noise change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noise only lasts 1-2 seconds at start and stops. Not enough time to rev engine.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Is it like a squeaking noise? or a chirping sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If it only lasts for a few seconds after starting the concern is likely from the starter. Sometimes the bendix is slow to retract. If you could have someone listen near the starter or in the passenger fender well while starting it you could try to isolate the noise. Your actually using a screwdriver up to it or a stethescope on the starter to try and verify that is the noise.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for viewing my response. Please let me know the outcome and if you have any more questions and also please rate my service. Thanks.