Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator, when backing out of my drive…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator, when backing out of my drive one rear wheel will skip as I turn backing out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I bought the Lincoln used an do not if this was always the issue. I replaced the transfer case after reading about issues with the viscus clutch. The rear wheels still skip when backing up at slow speed but do not do or cannot notice at higher speeds. I was just reading the clutches pack in the rear differential but don't anything bout them.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
I know the Aviator is older but the wheel skipping and noise that has just started (humming) above 30mph is very annoying,I had the engine replaced 2 yrs ago $6,000 and a 10 year warranty so this little or big problem is frustrating.
2/27/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. This is typically an issue with the side gear clutches in the rear differential. Start by making sure that the rear tires are the same. If they are different sizes then this will occur. If they are the same then I would change the rear differential fluid first. If it does not have the correct limited slip fluid this will occur. If the fluid is fine then the clutches are more than likely bad.

Nice to hear from you Bobby,
All 4 tires are the same size, I will change the fluid tomorrow and get back with you. I did check it 4 months back and it was full and no signs of metal or shavings of any kind, it did seem slightly dark.
Will the clutches also cause the humming that seems to be a major complaint from most Lincoln aviator owners, should I just plan on replacing the rear hubs at that time ,IF it is bad since the Aviator is at 187,000 miles.Thanks
Chris

Not usually. The clutches do not cause noise like the bearings would. These are only to limit slipping when turning or when there is slippage.