A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

2005 Lincoln LS V8 periodically goes into ETC failsafe

Customer Question

2005 Lincoln LS V8 periodically goes into ETC failsafe mode--at first, only when first started and now when I am accelerating from a stop or slow down. Have read many posts with various suggestions about how to fix it, but don't seem to have a definitive answer about what works. If it were not more than 10 years old, I understand it would be fixed by Lincoln on an extended warranty. Seems like a defect that should be fixed at any time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The check engine light comes on but I don't have the codes. The car will move only at about idle speed when this happens. Shutting the car off and starting it again solves the problem for that incident. Incidents are getting more frequent.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is caused by the electronic throttle body. Todays vehicles are what we call drive by wire which means there is no throttle cable attaching the gas pedal to the engine.

There is an electrical motor on the throttle body which moves based on the position of the gas pedal. Replace the throttle body assembly to repair this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this is advice I have seen in several places on-line indicating that it dId not fix the exact same problem.. One person was charged $750 by dealership to replace throttle parts and it didn't fix the problem. The most common on-line advise for this problem is the coil. I am not at all convinced the expert's advice is correct.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Then see if you can get the trouble codes from the PCM and post them on this page. The codes will narrow down the cause and any auto parts store will access the codes for you for free. Post the codes on this page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that tomoŕow. I was surprised to see a $17 charge on my credit card. I thought satisfaction was guaranteed and I am certainly not 100% satisfied at this point.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I do not control the charges, I am only subcontracted to Just Answer. They are based in California and I am in Florida. But when you can, get the codes and just reply back on this page. Tomorrow is fine. I will be at work at my dealership till 6 PM and I get on line after 7 PM.