Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Lincoln Navigator and replaced all spark

Customer Question
plugs, coil packs, and entire...
I have a 2008 Lincoln Navigator and replaced all spark plugs, coil packs, and entire exhaust system back in June to fix a misfire issue. Real problem was due to a clogged catalytic converter left Chanel but with a little over 100,000 miles I wanted to have all ignition taken care of. Vehicle worked great until the week after Christmas and I now have a misfire on cylinder 8. Thought defective coil pack so I replaced. While looking around the pcv hose/elbow was dry and cracking so I replaced that as well. Misfire still exists in cylinder 8 and vehicle cannot go above 30 mph. I'm at a loss, possible bad spark plug or fuel injector..?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
2/4/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

did you check compression?

Compression test was done at a ford garage. They said it passed and suggested the coil pack replacement.

did the converter get replaced?

I replaced the entire exhaust system catylatic converter and all.

and are you 100 percent sure they checked compression?

I have a printout that states "Compression Test: pass"

did they give you readings or just a pass?

They didn't provide any readings. The vehicle ran "okay" prior to the new coil pack, it was apparent there was an intermittent misfire but after the new coil pack it runs horrible. I'm going to try swapping it with a known working coil pack to see what happens. Im wondering if it is possibly a defective coil pack.

are they factory ford/motorcraft coils?

They are accel

if it ran good before the coil swap it with a known good one or exchange it

I'll try swapping them tomorrow

let me know

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Swapped Cylinder 8 with Cylinder 1 and put dialectic grease on both and engine is running like it was prior to putting the new coil pack on. Still have a misfire on cylinder 8 and I have attached a freeze frame to possibly help. I'm leaning towards injectors as ALL coil packs are functioning fine. Thoughts...?

swap the injector with a adjacent cylinder see if the miss fire follows... its either spark a injector or internal failure