Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Lincoln LS V-8, the battery keeps going dead.

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Lincoln...
I have a 2005 Lincoln LS V-8, the battery keeps going dead. I've had the charging system check by two different places, and they both say charging system is okay. What is causing this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
1/25/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What will cause this issue here is an electrical component shorted out needing replaced or stuck on needing replaced.Your model has what is called a battery draw/drain causing the dead battery issue.A multi meter is needed to locate the source of the draw and then repaired from there.This also requires a diagram of your vehicles electronics to help pinpoint the cause here.Below is a procedure I follow to locate the fault when this occurs.If you do not have a multi meter to test this or the time to do this then a shop or repair center will have to test this here.

What needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician