Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2001 Town car, 4.6, crank but no start. Crank sensor

Customer Question

2001 Town car, 4.6, crank but no start. Crank sensor replaced, fuel pump replaced ( fun! ), pump fuse good, relays good, pressure to fuel rail, tries to start! The only odd thing to me is the SES light will not self check. It had been working but it will not come on. Scanner picked up no codes. Pats light goes off with the key in the on position... Diode checked just for giggles!! I'm stumped....
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  John Vieira replied 1 year ago.

SES light does not prove out at all? Does not come on at all?

If that light does not prove out then the ECM is not getting powered up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning John,
Thank you for your help on this Sunday. It doesn't come on at all. No shelf check, not on solid while cranking.

Good Morning to you too,

Have you checked the PCM relay?

I may have to jump on the Ford website and find out which relay it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the owners manual but that's it. I'll check that relay. I can hear them clicking when the key is turned on but with all of them together like that I may be hearing the wrong one.

The best thing to do is to find the one for the ECM and then exchange the relay with another relay.

Will this help?

PCM power relay fuse #4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay works. Ohms drop to 0. I can't find a ECM relay location
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swapped it just to be sure.

And still no light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir. No light

Sir, the only thing I can not really understand is that you are stating that you can not find the ECM relay location but you said relay works and Ohms dropped. We need to be sure to find the right relay.

And swap it out with another one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I was looking at the box relay not #4. It's swapped. Still no light

Fuse #4 is what the chart says for your vehicle. there are 5 relays in a row, it is the center one.

Called the PCM relay, I forgot to mention that, sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. It checks out as well. Still no light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Multi-function switch/ hazard fuse was blown under the dash. Replaced.

Either you have a broken wire between the relay and the PCM, a burnt out bulb, or a bad PCM (ECM). To check for a burnt out bulb, the dash needs to come out and physically check the bulb.

Did this car just not start one morning or driving down the road and it died
?

Have you got fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its got fuel pressure at the rail but I don't have a gauge to check out how much. It's done this once before. Drive some where ,car runs crappy and after you turn it off run into the store it won't start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured fuel pump but that didn't pan out. It was fun to replace though...

It has got have 40 pounds of fuel pressure for it to run. Is there any way you can borrow a fuel pressure gouge or something, because we have to know what the pressure is at? Replacing the fuel pump does not necessarily tell us we have fuel pressure because the filter could be 100% plugged, or anything along those lines. Do you hear the pump come on? Take the gas cap off have somebody else turn the key on stick you ear next to the filler neck, and see if you can hear the pump come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I got it to start! It revs then drops then revs then dies. It back fires a bit. I can hear the pump activate. I changed the filter with the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For giggles I changed the cam shaft sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P1000, P0232, U1262?

Hello, sorry I was unavailable yesterday. The P1000 code just means that the codes have been cleared. A U1262 is a communication fault between different modules in the vehicle. I'll have to get back to you on those two after I look up more information. I am leaning towards a fuel pressure issue, but let me get back back to you in a little while. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got a good gauge with a proper ford adapter. Turn the key to on and the pressure reads 32. Just incase I'm cleaning the MAF, EGR ports and IAC tomorrow morning and trying to start it again.Matt