Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

Ok here is my problem i have a 2005 lincoln towncar and the

Customer Question
Customer: ok here is my...
Customer: ok here is my problem i have a 2005 lincoln towncar and the overdrive button wont work and neither does the wipers can you tell me if this is a relay and where would i find this
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes when parked one night it was fine and also nice outside next day i went to go to work after it snowed like 7 inches and i started the car and went to turn on the winsheild wipers and the wipers would not turn on and then after cleaning the window got in put it in reverse and drove fine put it in drive and the engine reved but no power tryed to put it in overdrive with the overdrive switch and nothing so i finally took off but car wont shift
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lincoln
1/14/2016
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, when you turn the wipers on do you hear the wiper motor run and the wipers just dont move? Reverse gear is good and you have no froward gears at all, not even in low gear? Trans fluid level is full and doesnt smell burnt/black?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no wiper motor sounds yes it goes a little but not alot you can rev up the engine but barely move but its flashing the overdrive off light and if you push the button in for the overdrive it does nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also when i can get it going it doent shift and just sounds like its stuck in first gear

Does the trans fluid smell burnt or look black or is it full and red? Have you inspected the fuses in the underhood fuse panel and interior fuse panel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its not burnt and theres no smell its full checked the fuses inside the car and their all good buddy checked the underhood fuses and said their good too

Ok, I was reviewing the circuits and fuses and didnt see a common fuse or relay for both the wipers and the transmission. The windshield wiper motor itself may have snow impacted around the linkage and would need to be removed to make sue it isnt frozen up due to snow/ice buildup. As for the transmission a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool needs to be done to see what codes are stored. A shift solenoid fault can cause a lack of trans upshifting and since the fluid doesnt smell burnt I would suspect an electronic system fault such as this.Once you know what code(s) are stored for the trans you will have a better idea what to check/inspect.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Hello, do you need more help or information?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no im good i didnt really get my answer so i took it to a shop

Ok I was following up since I didnt know if you needed more help

HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician