Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

Installed new battery and now have no power

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
12/31/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Amedee, Lincoln Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Lincoln Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do the headlights and dome lights work?

No there is no power except the red blinking light which I assume is the anti theft light

So what is the battery voltage? And what is the voltage on the fuses under the hood? It sounds like you might just have a bad connection or a blown fuse.

I replaced the battery with the same type that came stock. Unsure of the voltage. There doesn't appear to be any fuses under the hood
I'm not seeing any fuses under the hood and all fuses in the panel box seemed fine

Ok, then check for power on the fuses and check the fusible links

I'm not getting any reading to the fuses inside the vehicle at all. Do the fusible links have a fuse in them? Because they are well wrapped I'm guessing from the manufacturer

YES, you will have to check power going in and coming out of the fusible links. Just follow the main positive cable from the battery onwards checking for voltage on various points to see where you are losing voltage.

I'm not getting any readings. I will have to wait til the morning to check to see if the battery is faulty

Ok, sounds good.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

It has not been a happy new year

Stick with me and we will get to the bottom of the problem.

Here is a wiring diagram for your power distribution on your vehicle spread over three pages. It real easy. Just follow the voltage from the battery down through all of the circuits. Start checking in fandom places to see where you are loosing voltage and then work your way bad or forward in the circuit as needed. You will see the battery in the upper left corner of the first diagram. Follow it from there to the ignition switch. Check power in and out of the ignition switch with the key on to see where the voltage lose occurs.

What are the chances the battery I bought is defective. I disconnected the negative terminal and used a circuit tester on the terminal to the negative post and I get nothing. Tried again same thing with the positive side as well and nothing

A bad battery or a battery that does not have a charge on it is very possible. What is the battery voltage at?

Took it in to an auto parts store and they got a reading of 5v. I should of still seen something like dash lights but I left it there to charge for a few hrs and see if it's a cell problem or if the charge works. Crazy because it was brand new but I don't know how long it was sitting on a shelf for

Not only it can be low on voltage (low on a charge), but then the battery can be bad and drop below 2 or 3 volts when there is actually a load on the battery.

That is why we need to check battery voltage WHEN TURNING THE KEY TO THE CRANK POSITION with the battery installed.

Maybe we can speak on the phone if your willing to do so?

I'm good for now. Waiting on results from the charge on the battery. Plus I'm not paying another 18 bucks for no reason

Ok, no problem. Keep me posted.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician