sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

When I try to start My car, one of three things will happen.

Customer Question

When I try to start My car, one of three things will happen. (1) The car will start right up and run fine. (2) The car won't start at all. It acts like it doesn't have any spark. (3) The car will start, but runs terrible and has no power. After sputtering for about 30 seconds it will quit.
So far, if either one these problems occurs, I've been able to get the car started by turning off the ignition, waiting a few seconds and trying again. The problem is happening more often and it is taking more tries to get it running properly. It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold.
The car is a2001 Lincoln LS with the V-8 engine. Hope You can help Me.
Thank You, Jim
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there are no codes setting then you can be relatively sure you aren't losing spark. You may be losing fuel pressure or the engine controller may be going down entirely, causing loss of spark and fuel both. The problem may be the engine controller or it may be losing power or ground.

ave you tested fuel pressure at the time it is running poorly or won't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in a small town, therefore I'll be unable to obtain a fuel pressure gauge here Today. I have an appointment in a nearby larger town Tuesday. I'll purchase a gauge and the necessary fittings then. It's hard to rate You when I have no idea whether You've helped me or not. Hopefully I'll be able to give You 5 stars when We're done.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any more help!