EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

My 2010 MKT is humming all the time now and seems to be less

Customer Question

My 2010 MKT is humming all the time now and seems to be less powerful especially when going up hills. Ideas??
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Does the humming noise occur when the vehicle is stationary and the engine running? Does the noise ever stop? Where do you think you are hearing it from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts as soon as I begin to move. It stops when I am sitting still but begins as soon as I give it any gas. It is in the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the Turbo?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If you have the vehicle in park and rev the engine, does it do it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the Turbo?
I haven't tried that.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

It could be the turbo. I have seen the wastegates stick on those before. That also causes low power. If you could isolate to which side of the engine that would help determine if it is one of the turbos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the Turbo?
I haven't tried that. What is involved in fixing that if the wastegate should be the problem? I can try to isolate to which side of the engine it is from
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Replacing the entire turbo. It is serviced as an assembly. Is your check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the Turbo?
I haven't tried that. What is involved in fixing that if the wastegate should be the problem? I can try to isolate to which side of the engine it is from. It is not on now but in the past few weeks it has come one three different times but then goes off after a while (one time after about 100 miles on a trip, once after about 40 miles. Those times it was after I had not had my foot entirely on the brake when I tried to start the vehicle and then after it started when I did it came on. I thought it must have something to do with that fail to start.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

It would be helpful if you could have the computer checked to see which code has been causing the light to come on.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. DO you have any more questions on the MKT? Have you made progress? Please let me know. Also please rate my service and have a great Holiday!